Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 91 05-11-2011 , 04:29 PM
The thin red line
What have you set your colour to, when I changed it white it washed out the occlusion......dave

# 92 05-11-2011 , 04:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
With flat open surfaces occlusion will bounce into nothing because there is nothing for the rays to occlude against. Occlusion was designed to obtain bounces between the corners of objects such as a corner in real life to pick up those shadows that a general light doesnt really show.

As I have explained before in my own thread, place a poly plane above the flat area, keeping it out of camera obviously then your rays will have something to bounce off. Then you wont need to keep arsing with whiteouts etc. Also surfaces like this are better with bump as your surface tesselation will require a higher amount to get a good result either geometry wise or in values.

One thing that constantly goes around in this cg community with how people go about stuff and how complicated and excessive they make things for themselves just to get a 'coooool' reaction from the onlookers. You need to ask yourself does it really have to be a displacement map?? Will you use it on the final model and drag your render times down to the seat of your pants. Use a bump and with the help of a good spec map nobody will know the difference at the end of the day.

Jay

# 93 05-11-2011 , 05:20 PM
Thanks Jay, but that is about what I said in my original post about why I did not want to use displacement. Thank you for confirming my original position.

As for AO, I understand that I will get no AO from the bump as there is no actual geometry to be occluded. My concern is that I cannot do a single AO render + bump. It appears the way to do it (and correct me please if I am wrong) is make two separate renders and composite them.

Thanks all for the great feedback by the way. When I was doing automotive surface modeling we did not fiddle with tangent rendering tricks, we just modeled it lol. So I am learning quite a bit and appreciate the input.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 07-11-2011 at 08:05 AM.
# 94 05-11-2011 , 05:27 PM
"One thing that constantly goes around in this cg community with how people go about stuff and how complicated and excessive they make things for themselves just to get a 'coooool' reaction from the onlookers".

Hope that's not directed at me Jay. Ctbram's bump map wasn't doing what he wanted it too and he didn't want to model it. A displacement map is about the only other option. "cooool" reactions, whatever they may be, had nothing to do with it.

# 95 05-11-2011 , 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the great displacement and bump input guys.

UPDATE:

- completed all the basic gear door panels
- complete tail wheel asm.
- redid the rudder and elevator ribbing using a bump map to have consistency with the ailerons and flaps

user added image user added image user added image

I may need to tweak the tail wheel mudguard a little. My version is a bit to angular.

user added image user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-11-2011 at 05:37 PM.
# 96 05-11-2011 , 05:55 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Gubar:

Dude are you serious??, I dont flame people. Thats just wrong and really not my style, I didnt even see or read your post matey. I guess it was a few back, to far for me to worry about right now LOL, Im too lazy to sometimes. I was looking and reacting at Ricks test images and comments and gave my opinion professionally and what I thought was a problem in the community as a whole and was advising of what I thought the best approach....which is the simplest of course.

Rick:

I'll have a word with a guy I know who wrote a script for rendering bump and Ao properly without the hassle of adjusting AO. It will pick up skin pores...thats how good it was. Whether I can get it or not I dont know, it was done for Linux so may need recompiling....

Sometimes building as Geo is usually the best route as long as its not way over the top in terms of polys -I think you can get away with it here if you wanted. I did it recently for over fifty spacecraft and it rendered fine.....

Jay

# 97 05-11-2011 , 05:56 PM
Changed the tail wheel mud guard....

user added image user added image

# 98 05-11-2011 , 06:00 PM
It's all cool guys. I may have started it by being a little over critical of displacement in general. But I think we have a consensus now. Again, I appreciate the input.

# 99 05-11-2011 , 06:02 PM
How is the bump looking on the corrugation? I think it may be a little too strong now. In the last updates I increased it from .1 to .2 and my units are inches. At .1 it kind of gets lost once the other textures go on though it may change.

# 100 05-11-2011 , 06:05 PM
To Do...

I will have to start on the linkages and bits for the wing folding mechanics and the main landing gear now. Ugh! I don't have a lot of good references for those so it will be a bit of a challenge.

Then the remaining stuff would be..

- the gear bay details
- the cokpit
- a pilot

# 101 05-11-2011 , 06:19 PM
Extended tail hook....

user added image

# 102 05-11-2011 , 06:20 PM
I went back to just FG renders for the WIPs. I will do some AO's once I get some more stuff modeled

# 103 05-11-2011 , 07:01 PM
Hi Jay,

yes, I was serious. I didn't think it was your style, but it sounded like a direct response to my earlier suggestion. Anyway, it wasn't and I misunderstood. No harm done I hope.

Ctbram:

I hadn't forgotten about this and was going to look tomorrow. Since you're working towards a different solution though and given up on disp maps (and had plenty of replies on them anyway) it's a moot point. Good luck going forward.

PS. I wrote this response already about half an hour ago. Was it removed for some reason?

cheers

gubar

# 104 05-11-2011 , 07:13 PM
No problem gubar. No idea why your post was removed. That has happened before and I doubt anyone would just arbitrarily remove it without sending you a PM. Are you sure your web pages are updating?

# 105 05-11-2011 , 08:13 PM
Tossed a glass (transparent blinn) on the Canopy, cut out the cockpit opening in fuse, and cut out the nav lights and tossed a glass shader on them.

user added image user added image user added image

Last edited by ctbram; 06-11-2011 at 06:58 PM.