Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-05-2012 , 05:44 PM

how to make a gray transparency sillouette

Hi, I am doing an architectural render. I am trying to make the 3d people just to look as a gray transparency sillouette. I have tried the surface shader and the map shader, but when i manipulate the transparency, in the render looks like a glass figure. Is there any other way to do this? or any other adjustment in the shader?

# 2 18-05-2012 , 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
I don't quite understand. Do you have human models in the scene and you want them to look like grey cutouts or do you have texture mapped cards?

- Genny
# 3 18-05-2012 , 08:46 PM
I have human models imported from fbx transformed to polygons. Thanks for answer

# 4 18-05-2012 , 10:15 PM
The thin red line
If you want to have a 3d transparency you will need to fill the mesh with some thing like particals or fog and make the mesh invisable..............dave

# 5 19-05-2012 , 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
If you want the people to be grey and semi transparent then you have to set the refractive index to 1 so it doesn't bend light and look like glass. That is, if I understand that's the effect you're after.

- Genny
# 6 20-05-2012 , 03:56 AM

some tries

Hi, i made some tries of it with surface shader, volume shader, fog and particles connected to a mia_material_x but still donĀ“t works as i need. What i am looking for is something like the second image ( a render of zaha hadid)

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 20-05-2012 , 01:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
The surface shader is almost there... so you could render out those figures in a separate pass and then just bring down the opacity when you composite it in photoshop or something.

# 8 20-05-2012 , 10:30 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
why dont you render the characters on a separate blank background with an Alpha channel, then just make them gray in PS save them out as a targa 32bit. Also make the alpha channel grey so you have a slight transparency to them. Then just place the characters on 'cards' (poly planes)in the scene instead of the full 3d characters - it will save on polys in the scene and should render faster

Jay

# 9 20-05-2012 , 10:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
here see attached image. No MIA material x and so on, just the simple cut out on a card.

Jay

Attached Thumbnails