Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-03-2012 , 02:39 AM

Can you sample Transparency

Hello, i have a scene with many objects in a grid formation and i have a projection of a ramp to animate the transparency sweeping across the grid.

What i was wanting to do was have each objects visiblity switch from off to on when the transparency of the object drops below say 0.5.

I tried linking the materials outtransparency to a condition's first term and had its second term set to .5, operation set to less than, color if true set to 1 and color if false set to 0.
The conditions outcolor was then linked to the objects visibility.

I know that the condition works having tried it linked directly to a lambert transparency attribute and moving the slider.

What i cant work out is how to link the objects transparency to the condition.

I think that there needs to be a sampler in there somewhere but i dont know enough to work it out.
I have used the sampler before to create transparency on the near faces of an object but not on the far faces, but what im trying to do seems very different.

Anyone have any ideas?

Roy.