Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-05-2012 , 08:31 PM

Distortion occurs when I "Combine" two distinct objects

Hello,

I am combining an arm with a hand I created.

I go to Mesh>Combine - but when I do, the hand becomes extremely blocky and geometric once they combine.

And ideas?

# 2 29-05-2012 , 10:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
Are they both poly objects? Did you have smooth mesh preview (keyboard 3) on the hand before combining? Does hitting 3 smooth it out?

# 3 29-05-2012 , 10:37 PM
The hand seems to have the smooth preview on it.

How can I take this off? Then should I combine?

And yes the arm and hand are both polygonal surfaces.

Very weird.

# 4 29-05-2012 , 10:48 PM
EduSciVis-er
The smooth preview is just a preview. It's not really a set in stone operation. You hit 1, 2, and 3 to toggle between normal (unsmoothed), smooth preview + cage, and smooth preview, respectively. So to "take it off" just hit 1. Doesn't matter though. Combine them and then decide whether you want it on or off.

# 5 30-05-2012 , 12:07 AM
OK cool. I smoothed the hand then tried to combine the two once again - Still distortion.

However, multiple components make up both my hand and arm. Instead of selecting everything at once, I selected two pieces at a time, combined, and then repeated the process until everything was together. No distortion that way.

I appreciate your help!!