Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-06-2012 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber

Room model

Here's a render image of the room I'm working on. It's clearly not finished but feel free to critique. The couch still needs cleaned up and more furniture but it's getting their. My normals are reversed that's why the shadow is in the corner of the sectional. It needs re-textured (couch), I used leather but the cell size is way to small.. Honestly since I just previewed the image before I posted it, it looks like total crap..lol.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-06-2012 , 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Looks like that couch needs its uvs laid out. There isn't really much to crit at this point. I guess there is a lot of wasted space, will more furnishings be added?

- Genny
# 3 06-06-2012 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber

Looks like that couch needs its uvs laid out. There isn't really much to crit at this point. I guess there is a lot of wasted space, will more furnishings be added?

Yes, more seating, tables and items on the walls. I don't know how to lay out uvs just yet. The walls look horrible, I'd like to either texture them or extrude something on them so they aren't so smooth. I just started using Maya a few weeks ago but that's not an exuse..lol. Your cg gallery is very good!

# 4 07-06-2012 , 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Thank you user added image. Laying out UVs isn't hard, just a little repetative and boring, once you've gotten the hang of it, your eyes will just glaze over and you'll crank that stuff out without really thinking about it. Run an automatic mapping on the couch, it may not be ideal UV placement but it'll be better than whats there now and you won't have that glaring texture distortion.

As for the walls, I don't see a problem with them, however I don't know what you're aiming for. I will say though, that until you're done modeling the scene, that's probably the least of your worries because what if you texture your wall and it looks all badass in an empty room but as you start adding furniture/decor, it starts looking busy and cluttered and then you have to rethink that wall all over again.

- Genny
# 5 08-06-2012 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for that. I tried to auto map the uv's on the couch three times so far and everytime I do it, Maya crashes..lol. Go figure. I guess I need to hunt a script down maybe. And you are completley right on the walls, thanks.

# 6 08-06-2012 , 07:51 AM
The thin red line
Auto mapping is quite stable so there is possibly some thing wrong with your mesh try mesh/cleanup..................dave

# 7 08-06-2012 , 02:25 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Dave, but that didn't work either. I really hope I don't have to start all over again..lol. Maybe I'll delete the couch, as much as I don't want to but automapping worked on the tv and sort so their is obviously something wrong with the couch.

# 8 08-06-2012 , 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Have you tried deleting history or even exporting as obj and importing? If none of that works then you can post/send the couch and I'll look at it, if you do please use the .ma format.

- Genny
# 9 11-06-2012 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber

Have you tried deleting history or even exporting as obj and importing? If none of that works then you can post/send the couch and I'll look at it, if you do please use the .ma format.

I sort of fixed it. Well the uvs finaly laid out but it still needs some work. I'm still working on more furniture so the couch is put on hold for now. Thanks everyone!