Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-02-2014 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber

How to get etched glass effect

Hi all,

It's been quite a while. Good to be back.

I'm trying to put a simple logo on flat glass for an etched glass effect, but nothing I try is working like I expect.

I'm sure it's simple and I'm just missing the obvious. How is this done? (In mr).

See attachment for an example of what I mean. It won't be nearly as ornate and detailed as the example.

Thanks!
d

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-02-2014 , 07:19 PM
Technical Director
I would create two shaders, one frosted and one not, then mix them together using mib_color_mix or mix8layer with an opacity map.

If you are using the same shader type, you could do the entire thing in one shader by mapping your attributes with file textures, however this means more files, a more complicated shader network, and more work if you want to change something.

Take a look at Gen's blog if you're interested in my first suggestion: https://gennyx.blogspot.ca/2009/06/la...al-ray_02.html

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 11-02-2014 at 07:24 PM.
# 3 12-02-2014 , 12:42 PM
Why not make maps for the various channels, diffuse = black on the window part and the image you want on the glass blended together with the material that is used for theese frost window... use reflection map (black on the frosted part, white on the reflected part, the window) etc etc etc ...... user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^

Last edited by Skalman; 12-02-2014 at 12:47 PM.
# 4 12-02-2014 , 03:12 PM
Technical Director
Because, as I pointed out above, that is more complicated, as well as less flexible. Say for example you want to change the design of the frosted glass. You would then need to go into Photoshop and change every single file that affects that shader.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 13-02-2014 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, Next!

Will give it a try...