Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 01-05-2007 , 08:34 PM
More progress on the harness'

Attached Images

# 17 02-05-2007 , 08:33 AM
Looks Awesome. user added image

Life is a funny thing,
Beauty is a blossom,
If you want to get your finger bit...
Poke it at a Possum.
# 18 02-05-2007 , 07:48 PM
Thanks to both of you, sandman and vlad; I haven't been ignoring your posts user added image

Progress on the cloth; not quite coming out how I want, yet...:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

# 19 02-05-2007 , 08:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
looks like you have a little bit of UV stretching in there. Take texture scale into account. Your threads are really wide in that image. Look at blankets that are on horses or on your bed and think about how big the threads look. You might just want the *implied* detail of threading in your texture without it being so obviously detailed in the texture.

# 20 02-05-2007 , 09:53 PM
Thank you for the pointers user added image

Fixed one (of two) UV stretching issues.

The texture was, indeed, a bit too out-standing (harshly over-implied). I cut back on the crosshatching filter this time. :p

I also browsed google for something interesting to overlay on top of the pattern...I found some fingerprints, lol...I may decide to get rid of it later, but I'll keep it around for now.

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 02-05-2007 , 10:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
heh, can't say I'm digging the fingerprint. user added image

One other thing I noticed is the green trim to your red cloth is straight across, but the cloth shape is a little wavey. So the texture isn't following the shape of the surface.

# 22 03-05-2007 , 03:26 PM
Once I made some more changes, and turned off the fingerprint layer...I was definitely liking it more without it user added image

I'll make un-straightening the green trim my next step user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 03-05-2007 , 03:58 PM

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 03-05-2007 , 04:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
you may think it nitpick, but now I'm seeing that the fabric pattern doesn't also flow with the surface. user added image What you might want to do is lay your UVs out so that *they* are straight across and then the pattern will flow with the wavy shape of the actual mesh

# 25 03-05-2007 , 05:31 PM
Nitpicking is sometimes a good thing user added image

Only a few stretching woes to take care of.

EDIT:

I'm going to take a break from the cloth for a while (before I go mad); I'll try some leather for the saddle next.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by severinianthony; 03-05-2007 at 05:56 PM.
# 26 03-05-2007 , 10:41 PM
looks like you've made a good start severinianthony - i still think the thread is looking a bit big though.

# 27 04-05-2007 , 02:50 PM
Althow it looks like thread it is more likely a color pattern. on the fabric. If thats the case then it likely would look better a bit larger. Also (and your probably already donig this) a bump map would help it read better.

Life is a funny thing,
Beauty is a blossom,
If you want to get your finger bit...
Poke it at a Possum.
# 28 04-05-2007 , 03:08 PM
I've honestly never created a bump map in my Maya-ing life...user added image

Though the concept of what it does sounds like a good idea; I'll go google how to set one up.

Thanks user added image

# 29 04-05-2007 , 03:29 PM
a really easy way to create a bump map is to open up your hypershade, click on your cloth shader, then hit the input and output connections button so you can see your shader and the file connected to it in the work area. Now middle mouse button drag you file onto the shader and a small menu will appear. select bump and a bump2d node will be created. click on this and make sure you lower the bump depth - probably to around 0.08 or so. use an ipr render to adjust the bump depth to your liking. this method uses your file as a color map and a bump map. you can create your own bump map in photoshop for more control - but for what you are doing, i think this should be fine. hope this helps!
user added image

# 30 04-05-2007 , 03:56 PM
It was definitely a great way to see what it would look like with a bump; thanks arran!