Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 23-07-2008 , 03:40 AM
Senior Software Developer
Having studied statistics....

It uses simple arithmatic (math) to be able to calculate statistics, so therefore its an arithmatic (math) based subject matter.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 17 23-07-2008 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
R@nsid just said it's not math too, just math based

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 23-07-2008 , 04:01 AM
I studied statistics in high school math... don't know if it is considered to be something else in real life...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 19 23-07-2008 , 04:04 AM
I think your missing the point Chrone, statisics is maths, maths covers a lot of techniques, statistics is a way of representing numbers using mathermatical methods. Without maths statictics wouldent exist, hence its part of maths as its fundamental to it.

Saying its different to maths is like saying that reading isn't part of english.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 20 23-07-2008 , 04:23 AM
Subscriber
well i might be missing the point, i'll give you that, i don't actually know how strong my argument is... but since you've argued your point i don't see why i can't user added image

Maths = philosophy (back in the day the two were considered the same thing)

Pure Maths = philosophy, it involves no numbers. That being it's all about proofs, proving theorems, lemmas, and the like.
It uses logic (the basis of philosophy)
so far, we can see that stats is clearly not a type of pure maths

Applied Maths (or industrial maths) = maths that actually involve numbers that we know about. it's stuff like calculus, calculating optimisation, volumes, etc
this is what 3D stuff is derived from. Raytracers use math. NURBS are made of math equations, hence the reason why they are infinately curved (numbers are continous, not discrete)

gster: the way i read what you wrote is the same way i read what i wrote about 3D stuff being derived from math. and the same way accounting and ecconomics is derived from it (i'm so used to saving things with ctrl+s i'm doing it randomly through this....:p)
statistics uses maths as you said, it has theorms, and it has number crunching. but math is more theory based, you don't go out looking for data to work on.

so i say statistics is derived from maths and i don't see a derivative being the same as it's parent
the same way as i won't call maths philosophy since it's a derivative of philosphy (even if philosophers and mathematicians used to be the same they aren't now)

i don't think your analogy to reading and english is valid if we take my argument of derivation seriously. because reading is not derived from english (people read long before english was invented)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 21 23-07-2008 , 04:29 AM
Senior Software Developer
All I can say is OMFG...

This entire subject is math...

And any thing math based is math... Almost everything you do in life requires math knowledge... You might get away with poor english skills, but now way you will get by without math skills...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 22 23-07-2008 , 04:35 AM
Exactly Chris.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle