Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 346 28-04-2006 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
wow jay ...excellant work ...I am in aweeeeeeeeee. ...

user added image

# 347 28-04-2006 , 09:33 PM
hey, still working on this Jay user added image awesome work done with the cloth!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 348 29-04-2006 , 08:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thanks Guys

Falott, hehhe yeah still going, its got to be right plus Im doing uvs as I go as well.

Update

Jay

user added image

# 349 30-04-2006 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
hey man
loving the clothe! user added image

Do you have to double layer the jacket to make it look thick?(or well at least the edges.)

# 350 30-04-2006 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
can't crite mate, over my head and I see nothing that is anatomically incorrect and I only see most other other crites seem a matter of personal judgement.

she is a fine healthy looking woman, nicely rounded and sexy. Not a bimbo, but something that will look great in a graphic novel (is that like movie or .., what is a graphic novel? (showing my intelligence once more!)

The clothes are very fine, did you design them? That is an art in itself as you know...

I understand what you mean using perspective cameras as orthos. I'm thinking, if you put the camera pivot point at 0,0,0, you can then rotate freely around the head or in 90, 180, etc degree increments. Did you do that for this model.

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 351 30-04-2006 , 01:35 AM
Hey Jay - very cool! Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

user added image

# 352 30-04-2006 , 10:08 AM
Thanks guys

arran: yeah me too!! LOL

Anhslaught: No, no double layers, just added extra geo on the edges and curved it under to give that effect.

Mirek: All of this is of my own design, but as always, reference is key. As for the camera, no I didnt use that method for this as I didnt feel the need, but its something I have used before and it helps loads, its something I would consider without a doubt if the need arises again.

A graphic novel is a comic in the shape/form of a novel but obviously its a comic book story instead of just a written one.

Cheers again guys
Jay

# 353 30-04-2006 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
thanks mate, I have to join the rest in saying this is extremely good work, fantastic, etc. It looks like a photo but more artistic of course, something like that anyway... very healthy looking woman.

thanks for sharing all this work with us and the help it brings and you give unconditionally (well nearly) : :blush: to others...:user added image

# 354 30-04-2006 , 11:58 AM
thanks Mirek

Yeah well its a hard thing to do and I cant stand people who dont help, the ones that keep their cards close to their chests. Ive had the experience of people like that, and have been stabbed in the back. I try to give what I can but people need to find out for themselves too. I dont like people who take, take, take, though - its not a one way street. There are times still where I get stuck too, never take it for granted for sure, theres always something.

I like to help people out as much as possible without ending up doing the work for them.

3d is not by any means easy, I remember opening Maya for the first time, it was like Oh s...!! It was just garguatuan and 'Everest' like, I had physical headaches for months trying to get my head around it and sleepless nights (no kidding) as we had to learn it from scratch for production many years ago, so it was an intense time, now its not so...

Just for the record, I may write a paper on my experience with character modeling at some point down the road, what to look for what not to do etc, it may provide useful to somebody somewhere. But I dont think a full figure tute dvd right now...unless Im asked LOL

PS. Youve missed a 't' out under your avatar in the word Aus't'ralia

Cheers
Jay

# 355 30-04-2006 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay

3d is not by any means easy, I remember opening Maya for the first time, it was like Oh s...!! It was just garguatuan and 'Everest' like, I had physical headaches for months trying to get my head around it and sleepless nights (no kidding) as we had to learn it from scratch for production many years ago, so it was an intense time, now its not so...

Jay

odd...
i feel that way everytime i open maya 'til this day. :p
------
clothes are looking silky smooth man.
i love her "proportions' i cant wait to see her jumping on a trampoline.
plz tell me you have scenes with her on a trampolineuser added image

# 356 30-04-2006 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber
thanks, Jesus I gotta get more sharp, too much dreaming. Sleepless nights? I believe it especially with deadlines. I used to wake up every and jump on the computer to do Maya.

now i think Vlad has a valid suggestion, a man of my own mind it seems..LOL

her 'proportions' are very.., err.., engaging emotiomally.

man, isn't it a bummer how many take much but give little.., scary!

# 357 01-05-2006 , 09:40 AM
Thank you guys

LOL Vlad

Trampoline? Yeah I could fit one in next to the jacuzzi!! Woohoo, come to papa!! user added image

Cheers

Jay

# 358 01-05-2006 , 09:58 AM
Subscriber
some beautiful detail jay the creases look great!!!

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 359 02-05-2006 , 03:13 PM
Good, except get rid of that crease in the middle(you have mirrored one side).

www.mtmckinley.net has some great tutorials and it also fixs that crease in the middle of the face that comes from mirroring.

If crease is gone, hair and colour applied, this would be my inspiration.

cheers and all, bobalie user added image

# 360 02-05-2006 , 03:28 PM
The Maya Mountain
hehe, I'm pretty confident he knows how to get rid of the crease. user added image I think he's just waiting for it to be done first! Keep up the good work!