Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-05-2007 , 07:54 PM

Texturing causes transparency

njon posted a similar question recently but hasn't gotten any replies. He was trying to texture some crates I modeled on my computer but they went transparent, everything else was fine. Well, I just started modeling another scene tonight and about 2 hours into it, I tried to texture some tunnel walls and guess what happened, they went transparent. Hmm. I have no clue to what's causing it. Everything else in the scene is fine. Lights, buildings, roads, etc, it's just those walls. Does anyone have any ideas that might lead me to an explanation. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 25-05-2007 , 10:47 PM
Senior Software Developer
If you are using a psd (photoshop) file, the outAlpha from the psd file gets connected automatically to the material. Check the Hypershade and do an Input/Output of the material to see all the connections being used on that material.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 26-05-2007 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
It could also be an issue with the UV mapping, if you are using a procedural texture on an object which has, for example, had edges beveled you can sometimes get wierd transparency happening in the work view. If you render the image, chances are that you'll see the object without transparency but I would still set about UV mapping your model properly.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 4 26-05-2007 , 03:27 AM
R@nSiD: Thanks for the reply. I havn't used any Photoshop files but I'll try and keep that in mind.

happymat27: I hope your right because that could very well be the issue. I am applying the texture to an object that has been beveled. I created the tunnel from a primitive poly cube and then did alot of extruding, deleting faces, merging verts. Then I applied a planner texture map to the bottom row of faces (near the road) and textured. Then I went and did some beveling, and afterwards tried adding texture to upper faces and that's when it goes transparent and your right, only in the view screen. When I render it out, the faces aren't transparent, it's just in the work area. Thanks a heap!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!