Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-10-2022 , 07:13 AM

Need help creating a specific material for a character

Hello,

I’ve been working on a version of the TiVo mascot character and can’t seem to figure out what renderer and shader I should use for his screen/body. Someone else on a different forum told me to stick with a black Arnold shader (I’m on Maya, by the way), but that didn’t quite cut it. Then I tried a black ramp shader, and that too wasn’t right.

Here are several pictures of the character:

Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Bryce Powell

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by bryceepowell; 11-10-2022 at 11:37 PM.
# 2 13-10-2022 , 11:32 AM
Great! I enjoy your post a lot. Prior to launching my company, I believed that writing a business plan for the cannabis industry At that point, I discovered a Google post in which I was provided with detailed information on a cannabis business plan. I also achieved my ambition by providing this service. And I launched my business on the advice of professionals.

Last edited by EvelynNoriega; 20-10-2022 at 10:18 AM.
# 3 14-10-2022 , 06:00 AM

Great! I enjoy your post a lot.

Thanks for that!

# 4 18-10-2022 , 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
What are your results so far? If you're able to share. Honestly, it does just look like a simple black shader with really low specular roughness. The look really comes from the environment, which seems to be a fairly generic studio setup. Some soft boxes. Basically some area lights with a circular ramp plugged into the light color.

- Genny
# 5 20-10-2022 , 03:09 AM

What are your results so far? If you're able to share. Honestly, it does just look like a simple black shader with really low specular roughness. The look really comes from the environment, which seems to be a fairly generic studio setup. Some soft boxes. Basically some area lights with a circular ramp plugged into the light color.

How exactly should I achieve this? Are there any tutorials? And what renderer is best for the scene?

Last edited by bryceepowell; 20-10-2022 at 03:21 AM.
# 6 22-10-2022 , 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

How exactly should I achieve this? Are there any tutorials? And what renderer is best for the scene?

I'd suggest Arnold. The Maya software renderer is ancient and hasn't been developed in ages. It's just there for backwards compatibility at this point. Anyway, there's stuff on the YouTubes. A simple studio setup tutorial. Given your reference images, your light placement, color etc will differ. Doesn't use textured lights but that's an easy remedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADhc51BkbI

Plugging textures into materials (or in this case, lights. no difference)
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...E86AC-htm.html

- Genny
# 7 15-11-2022 , 01:20 PM

Last edited by BeverlyMath; 21-11-2022 at 11:39 AM.