Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-03-2008 , 01:00 AM

3rd year uni final piece

hey guys ive just started my third year uni piece 3-5 minute animation. i thought ill open a w.i.p so i can get some feedback and itll be almost an online journal i can hand in with my finished assignment lol anywayz there will be some pictures up soon.

im creating a story called "the emo who lost his fringe" its based off all those real heavy punk rockers lol that have those stupid gigantic fringes coming over one eye and are all emotional and everything anywayz i thought it would be funny if one of these emos woke up one morning and realised it was gone he will then wonder the streets in search of his fringe.

im going for a stylized approach similar to the exagerated scales of tim burtons corpses bride and a nightmare before christmas. and also the same gloomy kind of feel to it.

anywayz as i said pics will start to come through soon.

# 2 20-03-2008 , 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Re: 3rd year uni final piece

Originally posted by anasasis
...woke up one morning and realised it was gone....

that line made me laugh out loud seriously. sounds good and i look forward to seeing it. good luck man! user added image

- Genny
# 3 20-03-2008 , 06:10 AM
lol cheers GecT the story is still in production but i got some funny ideas. heres a few models i started on today and yesterday.

Attached Images
# 4 20-03-2008 , 06:13 AM
one of the body:

Attached Images
# 5 20-03-2008 , 06:15 AM

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 20-03-2008 , 06:15 AM
and the streets:

Attached Images
# 7 20-03-2008 , 10:43 AM
Subscriber
I love the houses. Great style and great colour so far.
Can't wait to see some more.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 8 20-03-2008 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
Sweet i cant wait to see this unravel... nice progress so far. Also what uni do you go to if you dont mind me asking,

@ Steve - Haha! nice vid man

# 9 20-03-2008 , 01:15 PM
Looking good,

That vid might actually be a soundtrack! haha!

Whats the time scale for this? And how long's the animation going to be?

# 10 20-03-2008 , 04:50 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I don't want to be a bastard about this, but i truly hope this isn't the best a 3rd year student from an University can do, because if that's so i'm glad i'm mostly self taught.
And now the constructive critisism...
- First make a storyboard(happymat made a 3-5 minute animation and as far as i can remember it took him a lot longer then he initially planned, so planning it out is important)
Vague ideas and a deadline don't mix
- Then plan what you can/will make considering your deadline.(what will be 2d what will be 3d, for instance)
- Your character needs a lot of work, both head and body.
The head for instance should be modelled with his mouth as much closed as possible and no expression.
His body looks to square,(so my quess is that you are a box moddeler :-P )
-Do the stuff you are good at first and as quick as possible so you have more time on the stuff your less good at.
Your anorganic models look pretty decent so i would first build a set(houses and such) and then the characters.

Good luck with your project

user added image

# 11 20-03-2008 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber
Good idea, since I'm not really a fan of emo music and the style... but I wouldn't call them "real heavy punk rockers"

# 12 20-03-2008 , 06:27 PM
hey anasasis, the idea sounds pretty entertaining and cool, and the style is pretty interesting. keep showing us progress!

mastone you've gotta remember that this is a WIP thread and you're not seeing the final perfected work yet... when i went to school for 3D the program was for film, with a focus in animation... so we learned animatics, pre-vis, storyboarding, scripting, and the like... but with actual schools that deal in modeling and animation, there's a chance that they don't really touch up on pre-production aspects.

the downside to that was that the classes we had for actual modeling were solely based on the maya fundamentals book. there was an animation class that used another book, but the majority of the maya classes were just basic. they didn't go in depth on techniques, methods, texturing, etc... so basically we had to learn on our own through trial and error (there weren't a hell of a lot of online tutorials back then). looking back on it, self-educating would have been a hell of a lot cheaper and probably more effective, but learning the ins and outs of the entire production process, with also color theory and lighting, editing, and scriptwriting classes definitely comes in handy.

you may be hoping for more out of a 3rd year uni student, but since this is a maya site he may be just showing you the stuff he's doing in maya and not the pre-production stuff.

Accept no substitutions.
# 13 20-03-2008 , 07:12 PM
I agree with NeoStrider, its a WIP not a final piece of work, so it seems, to me, a touch harsh. Look how its going to develop before jumping with such a big crit.

# 14 20-03-2008 , 09:19 PM
cheers for all the crits guys im overwelmed.

alexanderH: cheers for that the houses ive been designing for a while they still need windows and doors and stuff but thats all gotta be still incorporated.

marlonjohn: thanks mate i go to Deakin Burwood where im doin a bachelor of interactive media with well one animation class a semester. But next year im looking at doing an advanced animation class at R.M.I.T

mastone: As i stated to marlonjohn this is a batchelor of interactive media not an animation course it focuses on a mixture of all types of multimedia they only offer one animation class a semester. Plus at university they teach a more generalised approach not so much software specfic theirs a lot that goes into lighting, and the mood and the style of the piece. Storyboards i am 70% completed concept art for everything is completed. So thankx for the crits but if you could lay off the huge personal crits for a while untill you see the idea grow.

Rhetoric Camel: yeah i know they arnt punk rockers its just easier for some people to get their head around as with some people you mention the word emo and they stare at you with a blank face. lol thankx for the crit

NeoStrider: thanks heaps neostrider and my course is exactly the same with the animation side they place a lot of importance on the whole film side with pre viz and the music camera angles etc. yet very little on actual modelling. thanx again mate

gster123: the vid was great thanx for the post it i was laughin for the entire thing it was great. and cheers for the help in my defence to you and neostrider. i know marlonjohn probably didnt mean to jump on such a big crit anywayz i should have some more stuff up soonish for everyone and thanx again all of you.

# 15 20-03-2008 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
not a problem, I'm definitely interested in seeing this progress. And sorry to take the punk rock thing literally since I've been a "punk rocker" (among metal head, grunge rocker, and hippy, lol) my entire life.
Keep it up user added image mmm beer.