Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-07-2004 , 09:18 PM

Cartoon Dog Tutorial

Here's my cartoon dog. Could use some tweaking here and there. Really enjoyed the tutorial, never worked with NURBS before.

Big thanks to Kurt for the tutorial, good work! (You could increase the mic volume or talk louder though user added image

One problem: when I render with Mental Ray the Sub-D model won't render, and I get a error message:

Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : polyToSubdShape1, non-quadrilateral face in subdivision surface base mesh not supported, ignored

How do you fix that?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-07-2004 , 10:03 PM
Technical Director
Dunno. But make a toung for the dog :p

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 14-07-2004 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
Mental Ray won't render a SubD model if you have any tri's in the poly model, they need to be quads.

# 4 14-07-2004 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber

Big thanks to Kurt for the tutorial, good work! (You could increase the mic volume or talk louder though

or YOU could increase YOUR volume :p

# 5 14-07-2004 , 11:34 PM
Peltra: Oh, right... that could be a good start...

mrmacca: ok... tough then, good to know that for the future

ransick: Yep, that I did, and I almost had an heart attack when windows played its warning sounds

# 6 15-07-2004 , 05:34 AM
Hey DJblazer, nice job on the dog, he looks really nice, good work.

To render your SubD model with Mental Ray, you have to collapse the hierarchy first. Subdiv Surfaces > Collapse Hierarchy. That should fix your problem when rendering subd's.

-------------------------------------------
# 7 15-07-2004 , 08:07 PM
Thanks MainlineX. Worked good to render the MR now.

Have tweaked some vertices here and there and added a tongue :p

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 27-07-2004 , 01:46 AM
phew... for the first time ever I've been tweaking UV's to get a texturemap for the dog and BOY did it take time! Have only texture things like boxes before so I am pretty satisfied with the result. The head is up next. This texture is just a temp, think I'm gonna add fur to him instead.

Attached Thumbnails