Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-07-2008 , 08:16 PM

What level?

I want to eventually work in the VideoGame indistry and I mainly want to be a Modeler/Animator but I am cerious.

What level of Mathematical skill do you need to work in those 2 fields?

# 2 21-07-2008 , 09:55 PM
I wouldn't think much. What would be the use of math in modeling? Maybe in the animation though, but i'm not sure.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 21-07-2008 , 09:59 PM
Jr.Who
If you can count without using your fingers, you should be good.

# 4 22-07-2008 , 02:54 AM
Modeling and animation, I dont think that much at all, but for programming and AI quite a bit.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 22-07-2008 , 04:22 AM
Subscriber
for graphics i think the only time you would need it is when you want things to follow a mathematical curve for prettyness

or if you were part of the development team that makes the game engine

or like gster said, if you were doing the AI... although in my experience i haven't at all had to use any of my math and philosophy in AI... other than in bayesian learning... but that was applied math sort of stuff and non-math stuff like probability :eek3:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 22-07-2008 , 05:21 AM
Probablity is maths based.

# 7 22-07-2008 , 07:53 AM
Senior Software Developer
For Modelling and Animation work its your artwork and demoreel that will get you the job... You could be as thick as on Ox but if your artwork is outstanding you stand a better chance of getting the job.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 8 22-07-2008 , 01:43 PM
I can't imagine that being good at math would HURT your chances of getting a job, but it probably won't harm you that much. Things really don't need mathematical exactness like formulae and stuff in modeling and animation because you can usually just use your eye and figure out how things should be, although for object motion having a base in physics may be helpful.

Still, it really is art, so the math that's involved isn't particularly important IMO.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 9 22-07-2008 , 02:46 PM
For modelling you could look into the catmull clarke formula for subdivisions (basicly smooth polys) just that having knowlage of algorithms some times makes a big difference, for instance I saw a presentation about the neuclus solver by Jos Stam, I now understand how it works and it makes a big difference in getting the best out of it, with minimal effort on the computer and/or the user as well as getting more accurate results!

# 10 22-07-2008 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
Probablity is maths based.

it's not math, its stats

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 11 23-07-2008 , 02:44 AM
and stats is maths.

# 12 23-07-2008 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
not in my books

# 13 23-07-2008 , 03:18 AM
gster is right. Its all part of math

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 14 23-07-2008 , 03:31 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
not in my books

How can you take data and represent it as either a percentage or a ratio without using basic maths? It is maths, probability is maths, statistics is maths.

# 15 23-07-2008 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber
without using basic maths?

if that's how you want to define maths then everything in science and business is maths

i would say why i think stats is different to maths but i think it would take this thread waay off topic