Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-02-2010 , 11:15 AM

Maya scene file size limitation?

I have just replaced my motherboard (Gigabyte UD5 to Asus P6TD) - and now none of my larger Maya files will open.
I have trouble with opening .mb files which are larger than 150Mb. Maya 2009 and Maya 2010 both read about 78% of the file then jump out and give the "Send Error Report" box.
I have the objects from one of these 150Mb files in separate files, and all of these open without problem. It does seem that file size only is the cause.
I run an i7 920 system with 6Gb DDR3 RAM - so the hardware should not be the culprit here.

Does anyone else have trouble with larger files? Is there a size limit??
Any way around this problem? I have tried to import the file into a new empty scene, with the same Maya jump-out.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

# 2 04-02-2010 , 06:37 PM
Could the scene have been corrupted?

Try making another scene of a similar size, save it, then try to open it.

I would guess that, indeed, it is corrupted.

And there is certainly no size limit.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 05-02-2010 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
As Joopson mentioned there is certainly no size limit, most of our scenes at work are at least that big.

They sound corrupted I'm afraid, you should probably save .ma(maya ascii) files instead in the future, they are far more secure and less likely to corrupt user added image

cheers,
Chris

# 4 06-02-2010 , 05:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've tried the files on another machine with the same result, so I must conclude that they are corrupted.
I can retrieve most objects from other scenes - and will save them as .ma files...

Are there any tutorials on editing .ma files? Are they made up of MEL?

# 5 06-02-2010 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
No, they are exactly the same as .ma files in how you use them etc, the only difference is you save your scene with .ma instead of .mb at the end.

cheers,
Chris

# 6 07-02-2010 , 06:40 AM
Technical Director
Yes, ma files (Maya Ascii) are files that are made up of mel commands. They are ascii, so the file sizes are much larger, but they can (usually) move between Maya releases, and you are more likely to be able to salvage things from them if a file gets corrupted.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.