Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-05-2005 , 02:22 AM

Error -- I believe in smoothing (FIXED)

I'll swallow my pride -- I do all of my modelling in Rhino -- and lately it seems that a bunch of my models have bad faces when they show up in Maya. Personally, I think its with the smoothing groups but I'll let you guys look at it.

user added image

Not a clue personally, any help?

Yes -- its supposed to be a low-poly remodel of the flood from Halo.

Also may want to note the bad polygon on the leg in the lower left aswell...

Last edited by Phopojijo; 26-05-2005 at 10:05 PM.
# 2 26-05-2005 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber
have you checked the normals?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 26-05-2005 , 05:14 AM
Normals are correct -- verified by swapping "doublesided" off and looking from the inside out -- all normals are pointed outwards as expected.

It could just be my Maya though -- not the first crazy thing it did -- it also randomly removes all my viewpoint tools and replaces it with zoom window (orbit, pan, etc.)

# 4 26-05-2005 , 08:03 AM
Subscriber
next trouble shooting step I'd take would be to turn border edges on and check out the wireframe to see if you have edges where you shouldn't...possibly a flip face.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 26-05-2005 , 07:12 PM
Nah -- though now that I think of it the same error's been happening to other models -- including some from other people which I use Rhino to convert to OBJ to view in Maya... maybe I should format/reinstall Rhino and Maya -- that might clear it up.

I selected the face and typed in

polySoftEdge -a 180

She's all clear now.

Stupid rhino :b

Last edited by Phopojijo; 26-05-2005 at 10:06 PM.