Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-08-2004 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber

connecting bump maps

Is there a way to connect different bump maps to my lambert material? I've used a lambert material for the skin, but if I want to plug in my bump maps for the different parts of the body, is there a way to do this as I'm finding I can only plug in one bump map. Does that make sense?

Thanx
greenleaf

# 2 16-08-2004 , 04:49 PM
You can use a layered texture. Attach both bumps to the layered texture and then attach the layered texture to your shader. You'll then have to either use alpha maps to define which pixels from which map get used, or use projection maps to determine where each bump gets projected on your model.

# 3 16-08-2004 , 05:42 PM
Subscriber
I'm a real newb at this. What do you mean by a layered texture and how do I create one? Also how do you use alpha maps or projection maps? If you can explain step by step what you do, I'll be able to understand better. What I've done so far is to apply the texture to the character. I've created a bump map (in photoshop) for the horns of the head and a bump map for the arms and a bump map for some spots on his belly. But I don't know how to use alpha maps or projection maps. I've come this far in my learning, so if you can shed some more light on how to do it, that would be great!

Thanx,
Greenleaf

# 4 18-08-2004 , 12:08 AM
Technical Director
To create a layered shader, go to the hypershade, and at the left of the window there should be an arrow. Click and hold on that and select Materials. Scroll down the list until you see layered shader.

Theres a good tutorial on texturing and modeling here: https://www.interstation3d.com/maya/t...of_glimpse.htm

scroll down a little, and you'll see the texturing part.

Hope this helps dude!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 18-08-2004 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
so someone has used more than one bump map on the same geo and it work ?

more spacificly with difrent UV sets ?

# 6 18-08-2004 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber

connecting bump maps

ok, here is a pic of what i've done so far. i still don't understand how to connect 'another' bump map. the layered shader is there but how would you open up another bump map in the hypershade and connect it to the layered shader? i understand you can drag and drop the file onto the layered shader, by making layers, but i have no clue as to how to open up 'another' bump map since when i open up the attribute editor for the skin texture and load up a bump map, i can only have the one bump map. ideally i'd like to see another bump map in the hypershade and drag and drop this also onto the layered shader.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 18-08-2004 , 05:21 PM
OK, here's an exmaple file. Take a look at how the ramp is used as the alpha for the top layer to blend between the fractal and the checker bumps.

Attached Files
File Type: ma bump.ma (56.5 KB, 226 views)
# 8 21-08-2004 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
sorry for the delayed reply and thanx for the help and posting the pic. i also stumbled across jason osipa's book on facial modeling and animation which has also has a section on 'adding a second bump map' so here's another resource if anyone's interested to know.