SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Dynamics & Special Effects / Replicating a Specific Simulation

Dynamics & Special Effects Maya Particles, nDynamics, Fluids, Rigid Bodies & General VFX

Join the conversation. Reply to post

11-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
LanHikaru

Replicating a Specific Simulation
Hi there,

I'm looking to replicate the simulation used in this video.

Knee Surgery: Torn ACL - YouTube

Basically, I'm trying to recreate the fibrous effect that occurs after the tear, around 32 seconds.
If anyone has any insight to how this can be achieved or what type of simulation was used (nCloth, nParticles, etc.) that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
11-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
daverave
The thin red line

Possible way to do this would be with a zipper effect see link..............dave

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/duncan/ncloth_zipper/

11-11-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
LanHikaru

Would the zipper effect give the fibrous effect after the tear occurs? Cause the fibrous effect is what I'm looking to replicate, not the tear itself.
12-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
daverave
The thin red line

No I would think some thing like that was done in after effects or nuke.........dave

12-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
LanHikaru

Hmm, do you have any idea how these effects can be done in said programs?
12-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
daverave
The thin red line

I would save you animation out with a alpha so it would be easier to use in AE or nuke, I know that the link is for skin but the same principal is the same..............dave

Sub Surface Skin Tutorial - YouTube

12-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
LanHikaru

Thank you for the link, I will check it out!

Any way to figure out how to emit the fibers at the ends of the tears? They seem to be particles, cause they pop on and off.
12-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Gen
Super Moderator

Or maybe something like this ->https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/dunc...llo-simulation

jello - YouTube
::|| My Maya FAQ ||::
12-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
daverave
The thin red line

That looks good Genny, I think a mixture of Genny jelly and some work on the texture in after effect would be the way to go..........dave

Edit: I think Stwert was doing some work like this maybe he will chip in

Last edited by daverave; 12-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.
12-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
stwert
EduSciVis-er

Yes I think the jello tut would be the way to go. I haven't done a simulation exactly like this, but it does look like an nparticle simulation, because you can see an accidental particle death at about 0:37. Also you could add a 3D procedural bump map texture to the resulting mesh which might add some of the fibrous quality. It's a tricky one though.
13-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #11
LanHikaru

Thanks for the video Gen! I'll play around with the jello effect.

And thank you for the input, Dave and Stwert! I think that effect combined with the procedural bump maps in the end could work. I think I could even overlay the bump maps in AE, to make it work well.

I'll try it out and post more if I have any questions. Thanks!
13-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #12
LanHikaru

So I hit a pitfall.

I got the simulation to move and tear in a manner close to how I want it to. The issue though is that the particles are connected in between two plains. In order to get the particles to stick to the plains, I upped the stickiness attribute on both plains and the particles to 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTt...ature=youtu.be

Now when I play the simulation the particles snap back, hit the plains and become stuck to the plains. I quickly realised this is not the best way to anchor the particles. Can anyone think of a way to anchor them? I know with nCloth you can use "cv's" but as far as I know you can't use "cv's" with particles.

Many thanks!
13-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #13
stwert
EduSciVis-er

That's not bad so far. Looking pretty good. I think you could use a transform constraint instead of sticky planes. Or component to component? http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...C02FE-htm.html
19-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #14
AlphaShisno

Hey guys,
Me and LanHikaru were working on the tearing simulation together and wanted to update you guys on its progress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZWtbmRGkw

The next goal is to get the tear to happen in the center. I'm guessing there's a way to make the constraints in the center to have less glue strength to the ones on the plane.

Thanks for all your help you guys.