Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-03-2007 , 05:18 PM

Water -n- Reflections

This is my first shot at doing some water renders. Do they look realistic to you? If not, what should I do to fix it up?

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 03-03-2007 , 05:43 PM
The water look like a procedural texture, and looks a little too bumpey.

One thing that Ive found is water (depending on what you want it to look like) is very much like glass so that might be a start for you.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 05-03-2007 , 11:00 AM
I tried to use the wine glass setup for the water, but it wasn't that different from what I already had. I got some displacement under the red toy though.

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 4 05-03-2007 , 11:27 AM
What changes have you made? The water still looks too bumpey (as its very smooth in real life) and looking at your scene its quite a small amount of water youve got)

I think it needs to be more reflective and more transparant.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 16-03-2007 , 08:02 AM

Originally posted by gster123
What changes have you made? The water still looks too bumpey (as its very smooth in real life) and looking at your scene its quite a small amount of water youve got)

I think it needs to be more reflective and more transparant.

Amen. Is there some kind of filter for water like you would have for shadows? If so, turn that up, and that'll help with making it look smoother.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 6 19-03-2007 , 03:54 PM
Fixed the scene up some.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 19-03-2007 , 04:27 PM
the water is definitely looking better, but it still looks too bumpy to me. I also think you need some brighter highlights and some more reflection of the ball.

# 8 30-03-2007 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
can't give a lot of advice on parameter tweaking, but as long as you have your hdri dome showing it's never going to look realistic. Turn of the primary visibility of your sphere.

# 9 31-03-2007 , 10:48 AM
go look at some pictures of water... don't just guess at it! You shouln't need to be asking if this looks realistic... do you honestly feel it is? user added image

use multiple layers of noise so that it breaks up any repetitve noise patterns.

Rendering smamples also need to go up. With regards to showing the dome I understand what farbtopf means but it's better to leave it on rather than showing the picture on black (as it gives you a false impression of the render)

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB