Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-10-2003 , 02:05 PM

water splashes etc...

6 months ago i saw a xara commercial where they didnt showed the car, it was completely transparent, they splashed water over it and sugested the forms etc... now the question is how the hell did they did it?, it looked sooo real... and my attempts at fluids and particles look sooo crappy... user added image

# 2 03-10-2003 , 02:06 PM
The Maya Mountain
I would imagine, in addition to particles, they used real footage of water to integrate into their scene.

# 3 03-10-2003 , 10:20 PM
but with the shape of the car? i mean, there was a shot of the whole car with water pouring over it, except the car wasnt there...

# 4 03-10-2003 , 10:26 PM
Masking.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 03-10-2003 , 10:51 PM
You could collide particles without showing the collision object...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 04-10-2003 , 12:55 AM
Mike and kbrown beat me to it!

Yup... what they saiduser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 04-10-2003 , 09:24 AM
yep kman, exactly my frist tought... now, how the hell you get that realism in particle water? you know... i wouldnt be able to get a quarter of the quality they outputted on that even with a visible car that hides how crappy i am faking water... (i wouldnt be able to output your andrea tough user added image) im more like wishing the occasional "look, heres a how to make water tutorial i found that was the starting point of my experimentation with it"

# 8 06-10-2003 , 05:03 PM
For starters, have you seen Mikes' particle tutorials on his site?

He's got a good one that can take you in the right direction.

www.mtmckinley.net

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 24-10-2003 , 02:31 AM
I haven't seen it but my guess is they did it the same way they did water and cloth effects on an invisible Kevin Bacon in the movie "Hollow Man"

They shot a person in a solid color suit (chroma key blue or green for some shots, matte black for most of the water shots.) Then in post they can clean out and remove the actor leavingthe water effects behind.

Maybe they painted a car matter black, and dumped the water on it. That's what I'd do.

# 10 24-10-2003 , 08:03 AM
In hollow man they also had a robotized camera. They could film a shot with the actors (a cameraman controlled the cam manually). Then they could replicate the exact same camera movement without the actors again (motors, hydraulics, whatever controlled the camera). This way they got clean separate background and foreground elements.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 11 25-10-2003 , 01:38 AM
"Maybe they painted a car matter black, and dumped the water on it. That's what I'd do."

that is an interesting aproach: painting it of matte and getting only the reflections... cool... maybe a lil bit troblesome but then i havent attempted chromas with a high end pakage...(and eveybody speaks wonders of The Inferno... guess thats ´cause bad grrls go there...user added image)

yet, im sure they didnt used that aproach, because they included a near nadir plane of the car under a incredibly photorealistic stream of water( ie you saw how the water collided with the car almost fom tyre level looking to the roof of the car...)

Last edited by dragonfx; 25-10-2003 at 09:06 PM.
# 12 25-10-2003 , 08:09 AM
The Maya Mountain
more than likely it was done with a variety of combined techniques and not just one.

# 13 28-10-2003 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
The question is, even if they used masking, how would you get the water behind the car where the camera can not see...unless if they just mirrored the footage and maybe change the timing a little... hmm this might work.

# 14 08-11-2003 , 03:49 AM
Like Mike said, it was most likely a combo of a bunch of techniques, and remember what Kbrown said:
"You could collide particles without showing the collision object..."

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com