Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-02-2010 , 12:56 AM

Gradated Alpha Texture possible?

Hey Everyone.

First post, but I hope to be active as there's plenty to learn about Maya.

Anyway, I am making an atmosphere texture for a planet (Maya 09, and rendering in Mental Ray) and I was wondering if there was a way to use an alpha channel texture to create the clouds, thereby making them opaque, semi transparent, and fully transparent depending on the thickness of the atmospheric conditions. I know I can do it with particles, and I know how to create an alpha channel texture for a solid object or a smooth gradation, but not one that's opaque or transparent depending on the texture it's referencing. I guess theoretically you could layer multiple layers with alphas applied to get this effect, but I was wondering if there was an easier way that I haven't been able to find as of yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

# 2 22-02-2010 , 08:40 AM
Subscriber
welcome to the forums!

you can hook up a greyscale texture to the object's material's transparency slot in the attribute editor

black means it's opaque and white means it's transparent and grey is in between

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 22-02-2010 , 06:30 PM
Thank you for the reply Chirone.

That was the first thing that I tried, and it didn't work. I thought it would make sense for that to be the way to do it, and I had some vague recollection of doing that in the past, but i don't understand why it wasn't working for me.

I'm wondering if it had something to do with some other settings and attributes I had connected to the poly surface.