Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 31-05-2003 , 02:56 PM

Do people tend to model "to scale"?

Hello,

I am getting ready to start a new project and I began reading about the gird in detail and that brought up a question. Do you tend to model your object "to scale". What I mean is, if you want a 6 foot tall character, do you set the preferences to use inches, then set your grid to display every 12 units, then make your model 6 grid lines tall?

I am starting a 6 foot tall character and I don't want to slow down maya by making the object larger than it should be, but then again I don't want to make the model the scale of an ant either. Should after I have modeled many different objects in differnt files, be able to bring them all together than have them be to scale to each other, or does this not matter? I know that the final render is really all that matters, but this just feels like if I head off in the wrong direction, I will pay for it later. Thanks.

# 2 31-05-2003 , 03:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
at work we do build things to scale.

We set our grid options as follows:

Length and Width: 32
Grid Lines every: 16
Subdivisions: 16

Also give our Grid Lines and Numbers a black color. We leave the actual unit size at its default centimeters as that does not really matter. We treat each unit as a foot in this manner, so buildings will have 6' + tall openings so characters will fit through.

I should mention that all studios will have their own way of doing things, but it's a good habit to get used to building things to some kind of scale.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 31-05-2003 , 03:57 PM
Thank you very much Mike for that insight. Very helpful.