Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-12-2011 , 10:41 PM

Hopefully simple question regarding Fluids (Hard surface)

Hello all.

I have an issue that has been kicking me around for about 2 weeks. If you have seen the demo from Duncan regarding the mixing of differently colored fluids, you know what I'm trying to do.

I am trying to demonstrate one fluid being diluted by another fluid. The problem I am having is that my fluids are turning grey. Nice bright vivid colors at emission, but they get muddy and desaturated as time goes on, turning almost completely grey.

I think the issue has something to do with density. His fluid (before hard surface) was pretty tight and opaque. Mine is not.

Any help you can provide is really appreciated.

I attached my scene if it helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Files
File Type: zip fluidMix.zip (7.0 KB, 266 views)

Last edited by shamusoliver; 07-12-2011 at 10:54 PM.
# 2 08-12-2011 , 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
My dynamics knowledge is quite limited but I fiddled with this and increasing the "color diffusion" attribute seems to help. Its under the shape tab, in the color subsection of content details section.

- Genny
# 3 08-12-2011 , 03:59 PM
Hi Genny, thanks for your reply.
Are you using Maya 2011? I don't see the attributes you are talking about. I am using 2012.

# 4 08-12-2011 , 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Nope, using 2012.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 5 08-12-2011 , 05:42 PM
Aaah. I must have been drinking. For some reason your reference to the shape tab threw me off.

I like how it gets rid of the grey, but can I bring back some brightness, or just do that in post?

Thank you.