SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Lighting is a harsh basket!

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

30-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Anamorphicman
Newbee to Maya

Lighting is a harsh basket!
Hi All,

I'm having problems rendering out the same lighting that i see and like in my Maya Scene. Could someone give me a slap with the reliant fish and point me in the right direction please. Here are some visuals..

Viewport 2.0

Render preview

Output

HELP!

Last edited by Anamorphicman; 30-11-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: image fail
30-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
SilverFeather
Noober than noob

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm having problems rendering out the same lighting that i see and like in my Maya Scene. Could someone give me a slap with the reliant fish and point me in the right direction please. Here are some visuals..

Viewport 2.0

Render preview

Output

HELP!
From what I've noticed with lights so far, they don't look exactly like in Viewport when rendered. Unless you check the option to see shadows on it. If you want the light to look exactly like in viewport, you could direct the light source towards the surface of the mesh so that it shines that way and the emitted shadows don't go all over the mesh.
If that's not the problem and the light is pointed at it, increase the light's shine.
30-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Anamorphicman
Newbee to Maya

Cheers SilverFeather, the light are ambient not spots. I'll give it a go just turning them up a bit. is there a way to se what your getting without rendering out? i know about 6&7 toggling views but is there a better more trustworthy way?
30-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
SilverFeather
Noober than noob

Quote:
Cheers SilverFeather, the light are ambient not spots. I'll give it a go just turning them up a bit. is there a way to se what your getting without rendering out? i know about 6&7 toggling views but is there a better more trustworthy way?
Just use HQ rendering in viewport to see the exact quality. I think you have to rely on this one to see what it will look like in rendering. Other than that, I don't know what to do if it still won't render the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot275.png
Views:	71
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	49636   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot276.png
Views:	67
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	49637  
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 30-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
30-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
daverave
The thin red line

Check out some of the free lighting tutorial here............dave

30-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Gen
Super Moderator

Well that's why there's a need for test rendering, software and hardware renders will look different. In this case, you could make use of the IPR feature.
::|| My Maya FAQ ||::