Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-01-2003 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber

Completing a surface

ello,

i am trying to make a surface between the two curves that you can see below. I have tried many different mehtods without any success.

Any ideas anyone??

Cheers

Rich

edit--- i cant seem to upload pictures - they come out all messed up - are they too big?? 130k??

Last edited by cb8rwh; 06-01-2003 at 10:27 PM.
# 2 06-01-2003 , 10:32 PM
Subscriber
test

# 3 07-01-2003 , 04:18 AM
Have you tried lofting the curves?.....if you have let us know what you have done....so that we don't just repeat everythinguser added image

Might be birail.....not sure let me put this into another forum user added image

# 4 07-01-2003 , 01:00 PM
Subscriber
fillet? loft? stitch? im sure you can use them user added image but make sure your surface direction is correct

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 5 07-01-2003 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
i tried to loft but came up with the following.

I guess that is due to the curve directions being incompatible (if that is the correct terminology user added image )

Will I have to start over with this part??

Any ideas.

cheers

rich

# 6 08-01-2003 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
Sorry about another post.

I ahve added another curve and tried bi-rail 2, i have tried bi-rail 1 and al other possible ways of getting a surface out of these curves. I must be doing something basic incorrectly but what, I have no idea.

Anybody any ideas?

cheers

rich

# 7 16-01-2003 , 01:03 AM
SM Alumni
For the first one try reversing the direction on one of the curves - as for the second its sort of hard to say without actually seeing it. Feel free to post the scene here and I'll take a look for you.

# 8 16-01-2003 , 02:45 AM
Subscriber
HAHAHA I have the ultimate solution for this!!! wanna hear? user added image

Well it's pretty easy. As a nurbs objects just duplicate the whole helmet, project a curve onto it and trim away the bigger part.

Then you should have a perfect surface. You only need to move it a bit forward.

Was this satisfacory?? user added image

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 9 18-01-2003 , 01:02 AM
If anyone is still reading this post, how about trying this:

Split the curve shown in the front view at the very top to create 2 separate, symmetrical curves. Get rid of the vertical centre line in the perspective view.

Now use the Birail 1 tool, using the bottom curve as the profile and the 2 (now) separate curves on each side as the rails.

It worked for me when I was playing around.

# 10 18-01-2003 , 01:18 AM
BTW, be careful about using trims, because many renderers don't handle them that well. If you're rendering in Maya, ultimately, it shouldn't be such a big deal.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com