Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 04-12-2010 , 08:55 PM
I definitely see your point, but a piece of headwear can only be so bad or so good. Yes, skill makes a difference, but I have seen helmets made on the computer, and truthfully, they never look amazing. And it would be a clear win for anyone using zbrush, I think.
It isn't all that difficult either, to model a helmet; I think an environment isn't too hard for beginners to take a stab at, nor is it too easy for experts. It can also be made to look fantastic. Or at least a portion of the environment; some major prop in a scene. Environmental challenges are rare here.

Regardless, whatever the next challenge, I will participate.
Can't wait!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 32 05-12-2010 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber
I think an environment challenge is needed as well.

That`s why I liked my idea about the "Chair" - You take a simple model and place it in an environment that tells a story about the owner of the chair. Just think of 100`s of chairs in a shop and the lives of the people who buy that same chair. The real challenage to that is getting a character across that you never see. A little bit like Pixar`s "Up" in a way where the main character talks to his house (but granted you do she her in the film) - the house repercents the characteristics of the wife, without her being there. (Over stretched point I know)

Simple, open-ended, challenging and anyone could take part no matter the skill. The only problems I see with it is .... who would supply the chair to start with and people going crazy building too many other prop`s.

I just hope there is one soon

# 33 05-12-2010 , 03:23 PM
Subscriber
i like the idea tweetytunes but I don't think that there should be one specific chair model. I think modeling the chair should be part of it.

# 34 27-12-2010 , 04:42 AM
What about a challenge that simulates a job in the industry. I've never worked in the industry so I could be wrong. It seems to me that typically someone sketches a design or concept. Once it's approved, then it goes to the modelers to model, then to the texture artists, then the lighting people. So what about a similar challenge based on a certain concept. Could even be an image really.

If it's a modeling challenge, then whoever's model best portrays the concept wins. Can do the same for texturing. As far as lighting, perhaps the contestants have to follow specific guidelines to follow like making the image look like a moonlit night, or hot summer day, or romantic indoor lighting, or an overcast evening, or perhaps the sun is setting, etc.

I know it doesn't allow for any creativity because everyone would be working on the exact same thing but the thought is that it would simulate what artists face on a day to day basis in the industry. Again, I'm just guessing here.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 35 03-01-2011 , 07:04 PM
Hey how about recreating scene from ur favorite game let say u take some scene from counter strike and remodel and texture it for production film usage to look as close as possible to the original but to be in high res for production animation. I think these kind of challenge will be good for practicing multiple aspects of production pipeline like modeling, UV, texturing, lighting and rendering as well as keeping the deadline witch is very important part of production. It can be done as one challenge or like multiple challenges for modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering, and so on. user added image

# 36 03-01-2011 , 07:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
All good ideas, I personally would like to see more people involved in the January one at the moment LOL.

I like the chair idea but Im also into a modelling challenge for the next one.....

cheers
Jay

# 37 03-01-2011 , 09:23 PM
Yea modeling one could be cool user added image eater character modeling or some hard surface stuff to tighten our skills up user added image

# 38 15-01-2011 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
sorry Jay would have loved to have entered this challenge but just got though the door from a 2 week holiday to to the USA so missed this one - although it is a very col idea

# 39 31-01-2011 , 04:55 PM
any word on the feb challenge yet? I was thinking of getting my feet wet again in maya but i dropped in too late to hit january.

# 40 03-02-2011 , 10:05 PM
19 year Veteran
I would like to see an environmental challenge, like tweetytunes suggested.

# 41 14-02-2011 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
Half way though febs and no talk at all about the next one ???

Jay I think your starting to hit the challenges right on the money at the mo. Switching it up a little is paying off and the monthly time limit (of which I was worried about) is working.
Nice to see a lot of new faces taking part.

So what type of topic we covering next

# 42 14-02-2011 , 01:31 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cheers Tweety

ahh I tend not to worry about whats coming up. Generally I look at what people ask and go from there. The majority kind of wins with a twist on it from me LOL

J

# 43 14-02-2011 , 01:34 PM
Yeah, environmental would be sweet. I'd participate, for sure.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 44 26-02-2011 , 08:06 AM
Unser Joker
I would like to see a Game Character Challenge - with texturing etc.
You may have a maximum Polycount and the ability to use every Maps and Programs you want - for example the decimation master.
---Peace---

Mein Blog : https://eyegrafix.blogspot.com/
# 45 26-02-2011 , 11:15 AM
I like the idea of an environment challenge for sure, but would it have a certain theme or be open ended?
Also, I really loved the fact that this months challenge was modelling only, no worries about having to texture, light and try your best to get an amazing render done.
Would this environment challenge be similar, concentrating on one area of 3D rather than having to worry about 4 or 5 at a time?
Either way I'd have a go at that one if it was chosen.

Last edited by Dango77; 26-02-2011 at 11:23 AM.