Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-02-2005 , 09:35 PM

Vehicle animations

Oh god I feel like such a newbie when I did this... but I modelled a motorbike.

I was wondering how you can turn wheels using the pivot point of the center of the wheel (obviously) yet also rotate the wheel, say if you're swinging the entire buttend of the motorbike around.

(Final riding position's a lot more comfortable)
user added image

Lets say the rear wheel is spinning, and I want to swing the entire bike's ass end around. You obviously can't use the same pivot point for that, how would I do it?

Edit: It currently is in polys, but the picture was it while it was still in NURBS... I model all my stuff in Rhino... I find it easy as heck. (make a wireframe out of curves the connect them. Then when it looks good, export to polygons and use a simply dialog box to convert the "infinite polycount" of Rhino to whatever polycount desired)

Last edited by Phopojijo; 27-02-2005 at 09:48 PM.
# 2 28-02-2005 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
If you were planning the bike to be rear wheeled drive, then looking to do a cool 180 turn or something, would the 'pivot point' not be at the very point where the front wheel is touching the ground? kinda like an anchor for the rear end to swing around

Cool looking model btw really like the look of the curve/fin front end

# 3 28-02-2005 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
Looking at the model, I'd guess the wheels would have their own axis/pivot rotations. The rear wheel would have to be parented to the bikes body and that group would have pivot at the top of the struts of the front wheel.

You could set up set driven keys to automate the rear swing whenever the front wheel is turned.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 28-02-2005 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
sample pivot with set driven keys... not too carefully done, but should give the general idea. Rotate the front_group along Y to see it's affect on the rear group.

Attached Files
File Type: mb bike.mb (85.0 KB, 148 views)

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 02-03-2005 , 08:30 PM
Hmm, interesting -- didn't realize that a group can have a different pivot point as its member-objects.