Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-05-2005 , 08:44 AM

cape trail effect

i have a character that jumps off of a roof, and i'm trying to animate a cape that realistically flows behind him. does anyone have any ideas how to make it? is there something i can download that simulates that kind of flowing cloth movement, that i can attach to the character? or should i try to keyframe by eye until it looks okay?

i'm open to any ideas if you have any. thanks.

# 2 04-05-2005 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
Well, I have really no expertise in this, but if you have 6.5 unlimited then you might be able to use the actual cloth thing.

# 3 05-05-2005 , 09:06 AM
i have plain old 6 - i've done searches for cloth but i assume cloth is only in unlimited. i see collisions are another possibilty though - i think i'll try to give a poly plane some joints and play with it.

# 4 05-05-2005 , 10:14 AM
Yes Maya cloth would likely be the easiest way to go, (i've never used it so i'm guessing) But i know you can get similar effects using soft bodies and dynamics. I have the maya learning DVD's, and one tutorial shows you how to make a curtain wrinkling and blowing in the wind. I haven't gone through the tutorial yet, but my point is you very likely can do it if you work with soft bodies.

Good Luck

David

# 5 05-05-2005 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber

Last edited by alienscience; 05-05-2005 at 04:44 PM.