Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-02-2009 , 08:16 AM

jellyfish model

hi all!
im a budding digital artist. Started taking classes within the last year, and im loving every minute of it. But, im a bit stuck on one of my projects. For this class we are modeling a jellyfish. I have already done a basic jellyfish, but I really want to wow people with my second jelly fish!

I really want to model something similiar to https://etc.usf.edu/clipart/7300/7313/jellyfish_7313.htm

The problem is that i have no clue how to go about modeling the frills in the middle. I was thinking something with ncloth, but if anyone has any thoughts i would love to hear them. If not any tutorials that could point me to a technique that you think might be able to be adapted would be wonderful!

Thanks for any help you can offer to this student :attn:

-Ruxpin

# 2 03-02-2009 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
nCloth also sprung to mind for me when you mentioned jelly fish, I would imagine possibly using soft bodies could get a nice effect to.

Chris

# 3 03-02-2009 , 11:10 PM
thank you for the the response!

So i think i might stick with the ncloth route, seeing as I know very little about soft bodies. Of course, I also know very little about ncloth. Does anyone know of a tutorial that might be helpful in getting a cool effect that is maybe somwhat similiar to what the jellyfish I already posted has?

If not don't worry, I'm just trying to improve, if even a bit!

thanks again
- Ruxpin

# 4 04-02-2009 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
ncloth seems like it would be a good option for you. I haven't used it often but you can turn modeled polys into cloth objects, but how to constrain it and make it all frilly I have no idea. Could always do a rough test with it and see how it will work and if it doesn't work than soft bodies might be your only other option (that I'm aware of anyway).

# 5 04-02-2009 , 01:10 AM
The Nurb Herd
i wouldn't go with ncloth if you are just a beginner... but then, i probably wouldn't go with ncloth even if you aren't.

why dont you just model it flat and throw on a bunch of deformers. Is it for a still or an animation? i think you will get much better results quicker, and you will have more control over it.

# 6 04-02-2009 , 03:00 AM
its a still that i toss a turn table on... so its not going to be animated.
I actually gave ncloth a shot out of curiosity, and I think it made my computer hate me. Now batch render quits unexpectedly!.. how fun.

either way thanks a lot for the help so far all! any other thoughts are still welcome.. The assignment is due tomorrow morning, but I think ill model something a bit easier and save these frills for a personal project user added image

# 7 04-02-2009 , 09:47 AM
The Nurb Herd
ok it looks crap but this took like 10 minutes to model. I have no idea how to use ncloth. I find it strange that people suggest it so often.

user added image
i didin't look at your picture while i was modeling, but i think its similar...

# 8 04-02-2009 , 10:09 AM
Because ncloth is great, and can be used for a hell of a lot more than just simulating cloth.

If your going an animation then I would use it, it makes things a lot easier and it's really fast to simulate (lots of pre made presets and a simple interface)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 04-02-2009 , 10:18 AM
The Nurb Herd
i have no doubt, but i wouldnt say its a beginners tool... perhaps i'm wrong and should give it a go. I have a tutorial from a 3D world mag