Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 76 09-06-2006 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
Well that's your opinion, but should you feel you want to share something of that nature with your fellow people here at SimplyMaya.com then you know the place to come.

user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 77 12-06-2006 , 09:13 AM

If its not 3d.....

Thats all very well, but already we are starting to have disagreements. You are still saying that you should be able to discuss things of any nature here while I say the opposite. Time will tell if people want to talk about things other than 3d, but with all the added baggage that comes with offering opinion on subjects other than 3d, I feel that the topics that are not directly related to the progression of 3d are likely to offend some people. Can you really justify having religious, political or social debate online in this site?? What is the point? How will it help people who want to use the site for education and contact to others creating 3d artwork. I cannot see the relevance or need to have a forum dedicated to talking about things that are not in accordance with the ethos of this site.
If you really want to talk about these matters, start a blog of your own and set up a comments page for replies or questions.
There is too much crap going on in the world already, and I do not wish it to infiltrate a forum that is designed for other purposes. I, however respect the fact that you want to discuss things, again, I just feel that this site is not the place.

Somedays you are the pigeon, and others, the statue
# 78 12-06-2006 , 12:34 PM
I really don't see the problem - Tim has already created a seperate thread for people to discuss these issues, so when you come here you know what you are getting. To say that people might get offended is ridiculous - if we were to limit our views to what might not offend people, this would be a very boring site. People should disagree - disagreement and discussion of our differences is what will make our work interesting and will help us understand each other.

To be quite frank, whether you like it or not, every time you make a piece of art you are making a political statement - to assume that the two are seperate is a mistake. All art is engaged in the politics of its time, even if it is attempting to be apolitical. You say that you don't want to discuss things of this nature, yet here you are discussing them.

There is too much crap going on in the world for us to divorce ourselves from reality. Even if you are a cg artist, particularly if you are a cg artist, you should be paying attention, you should be engaged with the world around you, you should have an opinion and whatever crap you make, it should be aware of the issues that confront us on a daily basis.

To say that people cannot discuss certain topics is acting like a fascist. People can talk about whatever they want.

user added image

# 79 12-06-2006 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
For once I have nothing to say.

Perfectly put

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 80 12-06-2006 , 07:31 PM
No one could have said it better arran.

Those who are "offended" or who oppose free speech are the ones who are afraid or unwilling to look outside of their own views and opinions. Quite often they are the ones who will do anything (and I mean just that) to hold on to those views, regardless of the consequences. (our current president being a paragon of this) .
Wisdom is not acquired by those who try to bar discussion and opinion, but by those who are willing and able to try to put themselves into the shoes of their adversaries in thought and ideology.

It seems to me that ever since that chimp president of ours came into office, people are more and more becoming like him, that is, doing their best to stifle free thought.

I call it ideological fascism because they try to supress any opposing opinion, and for the most part, they are so convinced that they are right, they seem to think they can do whatever they please. Look at the debacle we are presently in as a result of such narrow-mindedness.

No one twists your arm to get you to read a particular thread, and if you don't like what you are seeing, you can move your mouse up to the right corner and close the page . . . .

If someone were to use a racial remark, or some other hate words, then, I would not have a problem with it being removed from the site, especially an art site, because that should not be what art is about. You have the choice of opening or not opening a discussion forum that is not directly related to Maya,
so why complain if you open it and read something that you don't particulary agree with?

One of the great ancient orators gave an oration one day stating a particular view, and then returned the next day to give an oration that was in opposition to the first oration. As a result, he was exiled . . . . But what a beautiful mind . . . not many people would be capable of such a thing today.

The thought police have always existed, and as long as they are allowed to continue, ideological facism will triumph.

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by skywola; 12-06-2006 at 07:35 PM.
# 81 12-06-2006 , 09:02 PM
Lookee here- You have been here for 14 posts time... and therefore have no right to say stuff like that in.
This thread is in the Member's lounge. Since it's in the member's lounge, it's perfectly fine to IGNORE it.

Other non 3d threads-

World Cup..dudes!!
Robocop vs. Neo
Deadwood web game just went live user added image
From were are You?

And look! there's a lot more where those came from. Personally I don't like this thread, but whatev. I don't care. I think we all know that Tim is obsessed with politics :p

-Matt

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 82 13-06-2006 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber
These are all good points.

I know I go on a bit about politics and the environment but for good reason. Not only do they effect every aspect of our lives and work but we must all take an active role as a species in moving in one direction with decisiveness (something which humans are notoriously bad at doing). I hope that most of you have seen the "Inconvenient Truth" trailer with Al Gore. This being even more relevant on the back of the hottest 12th of June that Britain has had since 1925.

Forums like this are an important tool not only for keeping freedom of speech alive but by passing on information in a quick way so it can be acted upon with haste.

Thank you for reading.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 83 13-06-2006 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 84 13-06-2006 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
One last post for the day.

Grand Theft America

Although sadly old news now and a bit of topic from my environmental urges it is still important and should still be something that people don't forget.

**WARNING**

The song does contain a swear word, just thought I would let you know. But remember that this is not opinion but proved fact.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 85 14-06-2006 , 02:23 AM
Yeah, that was a tragedy - if you haven't already, definitely check out Greg Palast's 'The Best Democracy Money Can Buy' - It's not the best read in the world, but he really covers that scandal.

And the really sad thing is that it probably happened again in 2004. Check out Monday's edition of the Brian Lehrer show which featured Robert Kennedy and Farhad Manjoo debating whether the Republicans blocked Democratic votes in Ohio in '04.

https://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/episodes/2006/06/12

....And 2008 doesn't look that much better.

Ho ho ho...

# 86 14-06-2006 , 04:21 AM

Attached Images
# 87 14-06-2006 , 09:02 AM
Subscriber
That you for those link's. I'm not to hot on these people in American politics but it is always good to hear what the American people think.

If you have anything else like this then please feel free to post them.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 88 14-06-2006 , 11:21 AM
Karl Rove is Bush's top advisor. In 2003 during the run up to the Iraq war the Bush administration was claiming that Saddam had obtained Uranium from Niger. Joseph Wilson, a former U.S. ambassador, went to Niger to investigate the claim and on his return wrote a piece in the New York Times reporting that such a transaction was highly unlikely. Three days later Karl Rove disclosed to columnist Robert Novak that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, worked as an undercover officer at the C.I.A. He also spoke to reporter Matt Cooper at Time magazine. Novak wrote a column outing Plame and many people see this as an attempt by the administration to discredit Wilson. Since Plame's status at the C.I.A is classified this led to a criminal investigation of the leak leading to indictements of Karl Rove and Lewis 'Scooter' (?) Libby. Bush said on several occassions that Rove was not involved and that if anyone on his administration leaked information, 'the appropriate action would be taken'. (phew)

There's a lot more to this story - and while it may not seem like much, you have to take into account the events that were taking place at the time as the administration was trying to drum up support for the war.

# 89 15-06-2006 , 03:31 AM

# 90 15-06-2006 , 09:06 AM
Subscriber
Jesus Christ on a stick!

I thought we were past this now. we should be finding a way to solve our problems not wasting time fighting of pseudo science with it's glossy adverts.

The sun is life as is carbon dioxide, but too much sun will kill just like too much carbon dioxide.

Thanks for posting it, and remember that the age of media spin is alive and strong.

Optical Minefield
My Blog