Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-03-2005 , 08:59 PM

computer for maya

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a system to run Maya. However, I need a mobile solution (I know you're already thinking "save and upgrade the desktop," but I'm fine in that department and mobility is a must). I have a budget of around $3000, give or take a couple hundred.

From what I've seen so far, the new Dell Precision Workstation M70 sounds like a great deal (I'm still drooling over the QuadroFX Go1400 it's packing). Also, it's one of the elite few laptops available that sports a 1920x1200 resolution screen. Of course, we all know what an adventure it can be talking to dell's tech support.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this computer? Are there any alternatives that you might recommend? Again, I know I would get a lot more performance by turbocharging my desktop, but it's simply not a practical solution. Thanks for your advice.

# 2 30-03-2005 , 11:11 PM
Technical Director
The Boxx laptops are really nice.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 31-03-2005 , 12:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. The Boxx systems look really nice, but they're just too expensive. Do you have any thoughts on the M70 though? It's been tough finding information about it because its so new. Thanks again.

# 4 31-03-2005 , 12:26 AM
The M70 is a magnificent laptop! If you have the money, buy it!user added image

# 5 31-03-2005 , 05:04 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by SuperTrooper
The M70 is a magnificent laptop! If you have the money, buy it!user added image

Originally posted by Peltra
The Boxx laptops are really nice. [/B]

thats about all the comments or recommentdation youll get on these forums.

i use to run maya on a P4 m 1.07ghz and 512mb ram and an ati mobile card. cost me aound $1300
never had a glitch.
not many here tech savvy in that department.
if you really want to do research and investigate before you make an investment search for bench marks results and price somparaisons

https://www.tomshardware.com/index.html
https://newegg.com/notebook/?DEPA=3
https://www.cgtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1356066

# 6 04-04-2005 , 06:49 AM
I'm studying in Japan so I bought a laptop to come here as I had to leave my desktop in the states. It's an HP Pavilion zx5000, 3.0ghz P4, 512mb DDR RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9200. Granted I just started using Maya recently, but so far I've been very please with its performance. I've never had an error and it runs smoothly until about 100,000 polys on screen. Rendering is pretty quick too. It only cost $1200, so if you've got $3000 you'll do much better ^^

# 7 11-04-2005 , 07:23 PM
Subscriber

recently purchased lappy

i bought mine from ajp and am very happy with it ,its 3.4 pent 80 gig drive 1gig ddr ati 9700 128meg with high res screen,puts out a bit of heat but doesnt crash ever! (touch wood), 1600 british pounds and worth every penny. especialy the built in web cam for when i have to work away from my little girl.