Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-10-2005 , 01:14 AM

Help me use the 'Outliner' please.

Ok, I'm... VERY new.

I'm trying to make a *don't laugh* door.

I can make a cube into a door.

Then make a sphere for the knob.

And a cylnider (can't spell) for the base of the knob.

The tutorial I'm reading wants me to combine both the cylnider and knob together. I know how to, and on the Outliner page:

I use the thing in the middle of the mouse. Once I combine one to the other, it takes the name of the 'parent'. Is that supposed to happen?

But then, how do I make them together on the actual... thing? Page or whatever; screen user added image

SO YA
THOUGHT YA
MIGHT LIKE TO GO TO THE SHOW
?
# 2 09-10-2005 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
From what I can tell from your description, you're not combining them but parenting, which are two different things.

Combining two objects simply turn then into one new object, where as parenting puts them in a hierachy. This will turn one object into the parent and one (or more) into child objects, meaning that any changes, such as moving or scaling, done to the parent object will be applied to the children as well. Or at least something like that user added image

If you want to combine then, and you're using poly's (not really sure how to do it with NURBS) you just go to Edit Polygons -> Combine (I'm pretty sure that's it, but I don't have Maya open atm).

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"