Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 12-04-2006 , 07:06 AM
Here was my attempt with this car, I didn't do anything fancy, and just stuck to the tutorial. I know now that if I went back to it I would be able to make it look more realsitic, with help fromDilberts.
Can I just say, I modelled this in polys, then converted to sub-d's. I know Dilberts, you dont like this approach, but is it still possible to get the realism this way?

Also I have been looking at DGS shaders, they look great. Are these preferable to all other shaders and should they be used, eapecially for like chrome wheels etc? Any advise on DGS would be appreciated, and the use of them.

here are two moreviews:

user added image

user added image

# 32 12-04-2006 , 08:21 AM
Subscriber
You can sitll get the realism that way. I tested both ways and if you do it right, it work the bad thing about converting to sub back to poly and once you turn the sub to an adaptive poly, you can go back to the lowest form poly opposed to if you model it the way Dilbert is, when you so a poly smooth you can set the ittrations up to 2 and it will look like the way you did it but if you want to go back and make revisions, you can bring the itterations to 0 and your back to where it was before the smooth. Me personaly, I dont like the dvds method of using sub'D but since im on the car forums all the time, I looked at how most of the best do it and thats by having closer edges instead of creasing in sub'd mode. It take some practice.

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 33 15-04-2006 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber

Clay Rendering

if you have Maya 7, i found a way to clay render without you assigning any materials. It even sets up mantal ray for you

1st - create a plane(mines is black)

2nd - creat a directional light and point it above ya item

3rd - in the layers menu, there are 2 buttons, one says display, one says render, click on render.

4th - select EVERYTHING and click new layer(whatever is not clicked will not be displayed)

5th - right click on layer go to Presets->Occlusion
9everthing will turm black so its best to have a camera set to where u want your render,

6th - on the layer, there are 3 icons, click icon closest to word layer1(or whatever you named it) and this will automatically set up mental ray

7th - render

thats it, maya 7 has that render prebuilt into it, more about prebuilkt renders on:

https://www.alias.com/glb/eng/communi...dable_dvds.jsp

you have to be a silver member

once your done get rid of layer or select on bottom most because thats the master. if you dont, everything will still be in black wehen u go to dusplay but just click on master layer. i find it easiest to just delete laya since it only take 3 secs 2 set up and heres your resaults

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 34 15-04-2006 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
thats not how its oigng to look, just testing the render. Im still working on some crap. I just wanted to help out ppl who will have the same problem as me. Ohh and mmoore, thanks for that clip if you read this. I got some sweet scripts installed now and thanks dilbert for the omttookbox. its great. Alias.com got a nice one also with bonus tools

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 35 15-04-2006 , 04:56 PM
yeah, its not bad but its just standard ambient occlusion... many portions will just be oversaturated...

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 36 15-04-2006 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber
eric,

i been keeping my eye on this thread and you have progressed really far from your first car model . i like it so far ..keep it up and no better mentor than dilberts.

thanks for the kind word on my dragon.

cant wait to see progress on this ...

# 37 15-04-2006 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
yea i know, i was thinkin bout lowering the intensuty a lot . mmoore thanks for keepin up on this forum but it seems yours is the hot one now. im really liking what you've done. im supposed to be finishin my animation project but its so damn hard to stay away from maya. its sooo much better then 3dsmax maybe thats why i never finish work in that class hmmmmmm.

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 38 16-04-2006 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
Ok ok im sooo freaking bored at work, I decided to make the spring and shock. Whata job ey that allows me to work on my work. well heres one shot, its not the best, im still working on it but i seriously have to lay maya down so ill show you what I got. I figured the engine is the most details so ill do the chasis 1st, then the engine.

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 39 16-04-2006 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber
and another shot

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 40 16-04-2006 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
yea i mad that round piece on the bottom bigger then what it was in the first pic because in the first pic, it was to small, also, the middle piece at the top was tooo small so i enlarged that as well but you can tell from that angle lol but trust, its alot bigger now then what it was in the 1st pic

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 41 16-04-2006 , 10:20 PM
Realy nice work user added image

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship
# 42 17-04-2006 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber
Ok so this is what im working on for my 3ds Max final in class. Its supposed to be a Lambo Murcielago lol hey I only have 1 week left and I just started so its going to be kinda rushed. Give me feed back even though this is the eclipse thread but o well

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 43 18-04-2006 , 03:52 AM
Subscriber
This an update before I go to bed. I really dont like using max but damn the chamfer is great for edges. Wow its real good for making close edges because I kinda bevels the edges so you dont have to go re ordering them right after it does it for you. Great tool, to bad maya doesnt have chanfer the way it works on max. Mayas is only for verts and it doesnt work half as good. o well enough of my blabering heres my update

Attached Thumbnails

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 44 18-04-2006 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
wow I dont know what happend to thoses edges on the front bumper. I might have accedentally moved the edges when I was doign something in the back. Good thing I looked at the image

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

# 45 18-04-2006 , 02:23 PM
Subscriber
i was wondering if you was following a tutorial to learn some of it ? wondering cause you mentioned a tutorial .