Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 05-05-2007 , 08:33 AM
Jr.Who
5 things to make it more realistic:

The iPod shuffle is a little bit too big compared to everything else.
IsnÕt there supposed to be a hole on the bottom of the iPod?
Your table is a bit too thick.
The RubikÕs cube is way too reflective.
The glasses arenÕt touching the table all the way (You can tell by the shadow).

Looking good!
user added image

# 17 05-05-2007 , 09:48 AM
Heres the update with your suggestions!
The glasses now touch the surface (that was harder than it sounds...) The ipod has been reproportioned, the table was made thinner, the rubicks cube now has almost no reflectivity.Oh, and the shuffle has the whole at the top instead of the bottom, so thats the only thing I didnt do :p

user added imageuser added image

Yay, not a freshman anymore!

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 05-05-2007 at 09:51 AM.
# 18 05-05-2007 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
just curious, what material did you add to the mug? and what did you fiddle around with in mentalray to get that look? hehe ... im really bad at lighting/rendering thats why user added image

# 19 05-05-2007 , 10:50 AM
The mug is made from the 3D marble texture, changed the colors to white and a very slight offwhite, added the Physical sun and sky in mental ray and got that look. :/

# 20 05-05-2007 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber
That one cube with all the colors on different sides(i forgot what it is called) seems to small..

Looks good. user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 21 05-05-2007 , 02:29 PM
Thanks! Is this any better?im also modeling a Key and a Ring right now, hoping to practice on creating and rendering Metal textures.
user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 05-05-2007 at 03:33 PM.
# 22 05-05-2007 , 05:04 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

an interesting thread. Sorry to chime in with my opinion so late in the process but I'll be honest in one or two areas here. The intial question that was asked, 'how do I make this more realistic?' or words to that effect, answer, 'Use Mental Ray'.

NO!

The actual answer does not lie within the software. The software is the tool to HELP you achieve your goal, the actual answer is: your observation and understanding of objects and surroundings! (be it interior or exterior.) I come across these blase answers time and time again. The software is only as good as you are at the end of the day. Theres no point turning on MR if theres absolutely no concept of lighting in the first place.

The most effective way to start would have basically be a 3 light set up to start, just to get to grips with how lights can work. Basically Key light, for shadows and then a fill light to brighten dark areas then a back light to pick the objects out. Good references of your desired objects to be rendered is ALWAYS a good way to go as well, this can help you determine reflection, spec, and diffuse. Also some form of a scene background would have helped in placing the objects in the scene too.

If you want to lean good rendering techniques before throwing yourself in too deep, Id suggest getting yourelf the Digital Lighting and Rendering book by Jeremy Birn and save yourself a ton of hassle. This will also help in material setups too.

Cheers for now
Jay

# 23 05-05-2007 , 06:28 PM
These are some of the most exact models ive attempted to create, given there extremely simple but Im still a noob. Like you said in your post, its about the models and your hands on skill not the software, but mainly my problem is how the textures react to the light. Ill try the 3 surrounding lights method since it sounds effective, thanks! In the meantime, do you have any crits on my models? How I can improve them?
Heres some screenshots, the key and ring are not yet textured.

user added image user added image

# 24 05-05-2007 , 07:38 PM
If you can, try modeling nose pieces for the pair of glasses. Also, is the ipod too small compared to the key because it looks like they're almost the same size?

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 25 05-05-2007 , 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
(While in your perspective view (Which IÕm guessing is the camera youÕre rendering with)) Go to View>Select Camera, then while in the AE (Attribute Editor) of the camera, go to Environment and you should see it.

Got it? user added image

Thanks for that!! :attn: It actually helped me out a lot! Good reflections! I think you could try a toned-down reflection amount on the table itself. I like it though. Keep playing

Sparticus

PS you might try adding a refraction and a reflection to the specs.

Expect to excell...
# 26 06-05-2007 , 06:12 AM
Jr.Who
Perfecto, that type of iPod was really that small, although the key does look kind of big.

You need to tone your light down a bit, because at the front of the table itÕs blowing out a bit. I still think that rubikÕs cube is a bit too shiny. If you make the ring gold instead of silver it will be easier to see.

Also try these:

Find a high res photo off of Google Images and put it into that picture frame, cause that weird blue thing looks pretty odd.

Make the table bigger, give it some legs, and make a little room for it.
user added image

# 27 06-05-2007 , 12:07 PM
The crappy thing is that im a sucker for the amazing reflection effects that maya creates, but i guess if I want to realistic I have to settle :headbang: Ok, so I should make the key smaller, less reflection on table and rubicks cube. I should also model some legs on the table and a nosepeice for the glasses. Ill get on it! (it may take all day).

# 28 07-05-2007 , 01:49 AM
The scenes coming along nicely, If you want to make it realistic then it takes a lot of tweeking, of the lighting and materials (you will also need some sort of environment for it to reflect (either a map or a HDR image) have a look at happymats 3 point lighting tutorial that hes got on his site, that should set you up with a good understanding to the principles.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 29 07-05-2007 , 11:27 AM
Thanks gster123, I will look at the 3 point lighting tutorial and use it. I havnt been able to update lately because I have a german project due tomorrow, but after tomorrow ill be back to maya 24/7! Heres a small rendered animation BEFORE I FIXED THE REFLECTIONS, so the reflections are totally off for everything, but my friend wanted to see what I was currently working on and i thought id post it here in the meantime while im updating the scene!
https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2027916569

# 30 08-05-2007 , 02:01 PM
Ive been messing around with the shadow settings, mental ray settings, raytracing, and I just cant get it right. Still the physical sun and sky renders look tons better. I was attemtping to do the 3 point light method. I followed the tutorial, but the shadows I get are barely visible. I tried almost every setting and type of shadows but cant get it right. If anyone has some pointers on lighting id love it, but im stuck...