Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-07-2007 , 02:25 PM

Boolean Difference not working

Hi, everyone I'm working on a ship that i'm building and i've run into a problem. I am trying to make windows in the sides of the ship using multiple cubes with boolean difference. I had done this earlier to see how it would look and it worked fine, since then i have added stuff to the ship and was ready to the put windows in, but when I click to do boolean difference, my ship and the cube I selected disappeared and I got an error message in my script. What should i do?

Before
user added image

After
user added image

Script editor
user added image

# 2 25-07-2007 , 05:45 AM
The Maya Mountain
Unfortunately, booleans are not always the most stable or reliable of functions. I've yet to find a work-around or anyone who truly understands *why* booleans work some times and not other times.

# 3 25-07-2007 , 10:32 AM
Jr.Who
I had this problem one time, and I performed a Mesh>Cleanup and it helped. Test around with the different settings to see which ones work, and don’t screw up your geometry.
user added image

# 4 25-07-2007 , 05:09 PM
hmm. well I got it to work but I had to subdivide my ship, for some reason I could only do boolean difference Once before it stopped working again so I just combined all the cubes together and that worked. Thnk you for your help guys, Ill keep that in mind next time I have a problem like this!