Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-12-2007 , 10:04 PM

Split Polygon Tool Problem

Split Polygon Tool Problem
Guys

having a bit of a problem with this tool now. I am currently working on the helmet in the Getting Started with Maya (8.5). Have used the split polygon tool to split a polygon. My problems are :

1. When I select the second edge, and try to click-drag the point to the end of the edge, it does not move /slide on the edge. Instead, the second point stays exactly at the first selection point and the line is formed to that point from the first edge.

2. This is the least of the problem I have. When I hit enter to confirm the split, the line just vanishes.

However, when I check the Channel Box, I polysplit1 under inputs section with the values of Edges and Subdivisions.

Not able to work around this since quite some time now. Need Help.

GP
user added image

# 2 01-12-2007 , 10:17 PM
Jr.Who
I'm guessing that you're clicking from say, edge 1 to edge 5? You have to click on each edge individually.

# 3 01-12-2007 , 10:35 PM
No. I am clicking from edge 1 to edge 2. The line forms but vanishes when I hit enter or 'y'!!!

gp

# 4 02-12-2007 , 01:14 AM
it sounds like you may have some extra vertices. try clean up or go to vertex mode and select all of the vertexes and hit delete. sometimes when i use the split polygon tool i click the edges and nothing happens, but when i do it again, it works. also make sure that you haven't accidentally clicked an extra point on the other side of the model as that sometimes happens as well.

# 5 02-12-2007 , 04:55 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by Jr.Who
I'm guessing that you're clicking from say, edge 1 to edge 5? You have to click on each edge individually.

No you don't.

You can click on one edge and click on another edge 7 edges away, and it will create the line for you. As long as you don't have any messed up Geo in between, such as 5 and 3 sided faces, or lose verts.

Check in your Tools setting, for the split polygon tool, and make sure that, "Split only from edge" is checked, and "Use snapping points along edge" is also checked.

Also make sure that Divisions per edge is set to 1.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 02-12-2007 , 01:32 PM
one thing you might want to check, is your tolerance for your split tool, maybe its attribute put up too high and that blocks you from clicking another point...so try lowering it down.

if not, most of time, your geometry isn't correct. You have an extra face, or edge. or vertex. or that polygon face you try to use the split too on isn't a flat face.

another thing you can try doing is just create one line at a time?...
maybe spliting too many lines, meses maya up?..

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 7 02-12-2007 , 09:58 PM
Hi
I have tried on all the options given below. Firstly, the face (its actually a protective shield for the helmet ) was created using the append to polygon tool.

I get a feeling there is something wrong with this as I am not able to select any point on this surface with the split polygon tool. I have created a polygon cube and used the split tool with the current settings and its working fine.

Definitely, there is a problem with the face. I deleted and did it once again, with no luck. There must be some step I am missing here....

gp.

# 8 02-12-2007 , 10:08 PM
you might want to try selecting all of the vertices and try merge vertices just to make sure everything is connected.

also, try selecting the new face and try reverse normals and then try the split polygon tool.

post a pic so we can see the problem.

# 9 03-12-2007 , 05:40 PM
Hi,
I have attached the pic with the problem. The line comes up on the Protective Shield but is not maneuverable. But once I hit the enter key, the line disappears. The normals are okay on the face though I tried reversing with no result.

Regards,
gp

# 10 04-12-2007 , 03:32 PM
Hi
sorry, guess the attachement did not go thru. Enclosed now.

Regards,
gp

# 11 04-12-2007 , 08:37 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
I still don't see the image.

You need to check to make sure that you have no holes in your mesh.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 12 05-12-2007 , 11:50 AM
Hi,
not sure why the attachment is not going thru. Trust it is in now.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 05-12-2007 , 12:02 PM
Lifetime Member
The problem here looks like you went horizontal with the append to polygon tool and what you should have done was append vertically several times to fill the hole and you would not have to use the split poly tool.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 05-12-2007 at 12:04 PM.
# 14 05-12-2007 , 02:39 PM
Guys
thanks for all the support on this. I re-created the helmet once again today and can now split the polygon. I guess the issue should have been filling the holes as mentioned by some of you. Thanks once again for the support. I am back on track again.

gp