Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-04-2012 , 03:17 PM
Noober than noob

How to make DNA strings that form a circle?

I'm trying to make an animation with these circles formed out of DNA, spinning around an atom (which will hold text for a title).
It has to look like the concept art below, only that I'll need to add the lines between each loop of the DNA strings.
The question is: How to make such a DNA chain that forms a circle?
I was thinking of making each loop individually, but wouldn't it be easier / better to use a thorus and form the loops, then use a mirror of that thorus and put them together? Or is there any other way to do this?

Attached Images
# 2 17-04-2012 , 04:54 PM
The thin red line
I used a helix to extract a curve then extruded a poly disk, duplicated then combine and last a bend deformer just need a lattice to get the shape you need.............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 17-04-2012 , 05:05 PM
Noober than noob

I used a helix to extract a curve then extruded a poly disk, duplicated then combine and last a bend deformer just need a lattice to get the shape you need.............dave

Where can I find the helix?
No idea how to extract a curve or do the poly disk. O_o Isn't there any other way, using polygons?
Thanks for the tip though.

# 4 17-04-2012 , 05:13 PM
The thin red line
Helix go to create/polygon primitive/helix you need to adjust the amount of coils, hight and diamiter
Extract a curve go to modify/convert/poly edge to curve
Poly disk just create a poly cylinder delete the sides and bottom...........dave

# 5 17-04-2012 , 05:16 PM
Noober than noob

Helix go to create/polygon primitive/helix you need to adjust the amount of coils, hight and diamiter
Extract a curve go to modify/convert/poly edge to curve
Poly disk just create a poly cylinder delete the sides and bottom...........dave

I found it, thanks.
I'll try and see what it ends up as.

Looks like I'll have to check up on bend deformer... I never used it to know how to.
And where will the disk come into play?

This is what I've ended up with. Something tells me I should have made the helix longer...

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 17-04-2012 at 05:22 PM.
# 6 17-04-2012 , 05:35 PM
Noober than noob
I just managed to crash the program because I tried to convert all the edges on the spiral to curves. -_-
So I've got the curve and the helix (two helixes actually, as I wanted to see what it looks like) and a disc.
But now what do I do with the curve? Do I bind it as a motion path to the disc?

Attached Images
# 7 17-04-2012 , 06:17 PM
Technical Director
Put the disc at the end of one of the curves, select it, then the curve, and poly extrude it. Then, in the channel box, change the divisions.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 17-04-2012 , 06:19 PM
Noober than noob

Put the disc at the end of one of the curves, select it, then the curve, and poly extrude it. Then, in the channel box, change the divisions.

Poly extrude as in Edit Mesh > Extrude? Because that doesn't do anything apparently.

Attached Images
# 9 17-04-2012 , 06:27 PM
The thin red line
Like NextDesign said select the disc first then the curve if it looks like nothing has happend most likely you need to reverse the curves direction, surfaces edit curve/reverse curve direction..............dave

# 10 17-04-2012 , 06:29 PM
Noober than noob

Like NextDesign said select the disc first then the curve if it looks like nothing has happend most likely you need to reverse the curves direction, surfaces edit curve/reverse curve direction..............dave

Something did happen but I didn't notice it. But is it what it was supposed to happen? Or did I place the curve in a wrong spot?
I now have two disks.

Attached Images
# 11 17-04-2012 , 06:34 PM
The thin red line
Not sure whats gone on here where did the other disc come from? did you do a animation snapshot? LOL.............dave

# 12 17-04-2012 , 06:38 PM
EduSciVis-er
For the DNA I made, I imported pdb data and generated curves from there, but I'm not suggesting you do that. Probably overkill for a logo.

But for accurate DNA, I do recommend you make sure the helix is right-handed (Make a thumbs up sign with your right hand and follow the helix in the direction of your thumb; your fingers should curve in the direction of the spiral. The helix you have made in post 5 is indeed right-handed) Also beneficial to incorporate a major and minor groove, instead of perfectly offset helices.

# 13 17-04-2012 , 06:43 PM
Technical Director
Sorry, you should select the face before extruding. My bad.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 14 17-04-2012 , 06:46 PM
Noober than noob

Not sure whats gone on here where did the other disc come from? did you do a animation snapshot? LOL.............dave

I accidentally the whole thing. O.o
No idea what I did, but definitely nothing related to animation, I selected the disk and then the curve, then went to EditMesh > Extrude. And then that other disk just appeared.

For the DNA I made, I imported pdb data and generated curves from there, but I'm not suggesting you do that. Probably overkill for a logo.

But for accurate DNA, I do recommend you make sure the helix is right-handed (Make a thumbs up sign with your right hand and follow the helix in the direction of your thumb; your fingers should curve in the direction of the spiral. The helix you have made in post 5 is indeed right-handed) Also beneficial to incorporate a major and minor groove, instead of perfectly offset helices.

It doesn't have to be extremely accurate, it's just for the circles that will spin around the atom like wheels but also around the atom's axis.
It's not just a logo but more like an intro to that movie my friends and I are working on.

# 15 17-04-2012 , 06:47 PM
Noober than noob

Sorry, you should select the face before extruding. My bad.

And now I have a cylinder. O.o

Attached Images