Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-06-2008 , 12:48 PM

Particles in Mental RAy

Hi,

about to start some minor particle work for the first time for uni. After a bit of googling I've discovered that there were issues rendering these in previous versions of maya/mental ray.

Just wanted to ask before I start if these have been resolved (using 2008) or if there's anything I should be aware of.

cheers

gubar

# 2 13-06-2008 , 12:55 PM
Not that I know of, they render fine in 08 IMHO

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 13-06-2008 , 01:10 PM
Cheers,

got myself a tutorial on making cigarette smoke (what I'm trying to achieve) so I'll give it a shot over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

If anyone feels like sharing any advice or pointers feel free!

gubar

# 4 13-06-2008 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
I've got to be honest I havn't done a lot to mess around with particles and such in Maya. But I have watched some of the instruction in my class and they always seem to render them out in Maya Hardware (as this is VERY quick) and then composite them into the project as this can be none in near realtime and you can give em any effects you like.

Now keep in mind when you render in harware you get whatever colour dots the emiiter spits out but it seems to be rather easy to get a number of looks out of them in After Effects (for example) with just a few tweaks and effects.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 5 13-06-2008 , 06:10 PM
Yes, up to v7.5 there were major limitations on certain particle render types in the version of MR that shipped with Maya during those releases.

Such as no particle motion blur, to some particle types not rendering in MR at all.

Most of those limitations have now been eliminated as of v8 & 8.5.

Also, I have moved this thread to the correct forum, as I can better help you from there/here if needed.

Feel free to post any issues or questions you have and I'll help you as soon as I see your postuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com