Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-11-2008 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber

what is a material over ride??

ive concentrated (for what its worth) on comping and sound this year. lost touch with maya a bit.

what is 'material over ride.' ive seen it all over maya but dont know what it is.., is there a one sentence explanation??

much appreciated.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 01-11-2008 , 12:11 PM
In a nutshell, It overides one material with another material for the render.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 01-11-2008 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
OK, that makes better sense of it.., i thought it just somehow 'stopped' the shader or something.., best i read up (when i get time).

thanks mate.user added image

# 4 03-11-2008 , 08:38 PM
Hey Mirek!
I explain this in my Render Layers video tutorial series if you are interested to learn more.

But like gster said, it not only allows one to overide a shader application on a given object/group of objects, but it also allows you to overide the default renderer, and many other features as welluser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 03-11-2008 , 09:02 PM
Subscriber
ive got those tuts, (paid for them user added image )i better have another look?? thanks mate.

seems more and more people are moving toward the render issues because it is becoming obvious that modeling is such a small part of the final delivery, and as maya renderers get more complicated im losing it. im going to a mental ray lecture in a few minutes..??? hopefully i'll pick something up there too.

got so un confident in my maya skills (plus comping) i went back to protools the last 6 months or so..?? whatever..., time flies and who knows how long ago it was.., thats computers for you.

# 6 03-11-2008 , 09:11 PM
Awesome!

Yeah, PLEASE feel free to post any tidbits of information you learn at your lectureuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 03-11-2008 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
will do dude, i think this will go for two more weeks.., i missed the first but my friend filmed it user added image