Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-12-2008 , 08:25 AM

Split poligon tool

Hi i have a problem and it is about the split poligon tool.
I'm working on a head and are going to insert some new lines and need to use the split poligon tool.
When i put in the line i can see it when i press enter then then line only appears to the point were the mouth go in you may see it on the pictuers. Pic 1 were i put the points and pic 2 were the points apear.

What can be the problem? The mouth is closed all the way around so i dont have any holes.

Sorry for my english

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-12-2008 , 07:02 PM
Subscriber
can't really tell what happened in your pictures (too small) but i think i know what you're asking

this is probably because you've gone over a mega complicated surface. are you clicking from start point straight to the end? or are you clicking through each individual face?

i find when i use the split poly nothing appears even when i click edges over each individual face, but you just have to make the first edge then hit enter, then hit g, and repeat for the next lot of faces you want to split

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 16-12-2008 , 05:19 PM

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 17-12-2008 , 03:20 AM
OK
Well when i only chose 2 points thenit makes a line from point 1 to point 2 then it is supose to make a line over all the edges on the way. Well it workt when i did it one by one and put a line on all the points. Took some time but it is done.

I will check out the video.

# 5 17-12-2008 , 11:45 AM
Subscriber
just so you know, you can change the snapping setting for the split polygon tool as well, which may be helpful for you since you can't really add an edge in 3D and keep it in the middle of the two edges you're joining...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D