Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-09-2011 , 09:18 AM

Scorpion Tail Rig

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the best way to rig a scorpion tail of a model. I tried out a set driven key method that looks great. I basically made it so each segment initiates the slight 20 rotation of the Z axis once the first one moves 20 degrees. It creates a smooth curl up and inward which I really like and looks natural.

Though... I also want to add an IK handle and have the flexibility of using both methods to animate. This was I can also be able to manually move the end of the stinger. Problem is, when I add the IK to the joints, and then start adding the set driven keys, it doesn't let me create the set driven key method I had started with. I want to have the flexibility to turn these on and off. I know you can switch back from IK to FK. Is there a way to add FK controls and add in set driven keys to the controls?? Thanks if anyone has any suggestions!!

# 2 12-09-2011 , 02:02 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 12-09-2011 , 05:16 PM
Yeah I knew you could do that.. I said that in my post. I was asking if you could set driven keys on the FK switches, and have the joints retain that information when you switch back and forth.