Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-09-2011 , 10:24 PM

transfer attributes : UV

Has someone ever faced a problem of transferring uv's onto a skinned object.

I was doing a character, after mapping the UV's into a new set, i gave it to a team mate to rig and skin it, which further went into animation.

On other hand i tweaked a bit of the UV's again and painted the textures.

Now when i use transfer attributes to project my new uv's ( from the non skinned object ) over the older one's ( the animated mesh ), the thing screws up completely.

I have tried every damn setting but it doesn't seem to work.

Anyone for a solution.

# 2 21-09-2011 , 11:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
Are the vertex numbers the same? Have you changed the mesh at all? You could try putting the new one in the same space (exactly overlapping) and then try one of the settings, proximity or something, can't quite remember.

# 3 22-09-2011 , 07:02 AM
The Nurb Herd
You will have to use a texture reference object I think.

# 4 22-09-2011 , 01:23 PM
Technical Director
It's likely due to the fact that it's performing the operation above the skinning, therefore the vertices are in a different position, and therefore are mapped incorrectly.

There are a few tutorials on this. Here's one: https://animbiz.blogspot.com/2010/02/...r-rigging.html

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 22-09-2011 , 01:42 PM
Well What Next Design says is quite right. I have researched about the problem and this is what i have found out as well.
Next Design : Thanks for the link, but i have tried this method already but in vain. I had came across this link as well.
this is a little confidential file, if you want to try your hands on it, i'd send yu the file over to your mail id.

But what i also found out was that this problem has been resolved in MAYA 2012 version. Here a transpose function is introduced in the transfer attributes section which really helps. but my project does not allows change the pipeline onto a different version.

I started this discussion just to understand if someone of you would have ran into this kind of problem already and tried out a way through which could be shared here.

# 6 22-09-2011 , 02:11 PM
The Nurb Herd
are you a student?

# 7 22-09-2011 , 03:12 PM

are you a student?

user added image Well not really. I am a working professional and a freelancer. I train students into short film making as a profession.

# 8 22-09-2011 , 05:27 PM
Technical Director
If you want, shoot me a PM with a download link and I'll take a look at it.

I've written a few UV transfer tools at work. Should be a relatively easy fix.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 22-09-2011 , 06:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Sharing stuff out between team members is better when a proper pipeline is introduced and you wouldnt have had that problem. You could try this in future:

1) create all model geometry and uvs under one file.
2) create new scene and reference the model to test shaders and textures save this scene as your textured scene.
3) reference the reference textured model to a new scene and rig it.

Any changes needed to the uvs or model would be done on the original geo model (step 1), after saving your changes everything filters thru to the other referenced models leaving it pretty much hassle free. Thats how our pipeline worked at cinesite and also Windmill

Jay

# 10 24-09-2011 , 09:25 PM
Thanks Jay, the idea never stuck me.

Next Design, thanks for the help, we got through this time..........

Thanks all