Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-10-2011 , 02:01 PM

Final Gather and Global Illumination

It is bad to use Final Gather and Global illumination??

I have this question in my mind from a long time people say make your own lighting setup and i think its right for good practice in lighting but why donn they say use FG and GI for Realistic output as i have seen many portfolios, read interviews,making every realistic out is done by using FG GI...
or the problem is render time.user added image

is it bad.:/user added imageuser added image

# 2 04-10-2011 , 02:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
Short answer... no, I would say. But I guess the trick is knowing when to use it and when you don't need it. Don't just turn on everything and hope it gives you a nice result.

# 3 04-10-2011 , 02:45 PM
ya u make a good point user added image according to me its good solution for Exterior shots..

# 4 04-10-2011 , 03:08 PM
The Nurb Herd
It would depend on what you are rendering. They slow down render times and can flicker with animation.
I don't often use FG and almost never used GI.
(That is from my own experience and not just what I've over heard.)

# 5 04-10-2011 , 03:59 PM
SM Tea Boy
I prefer to fake it, it's quicker and it gives me more control not to mention a lot less headaches.

I'f i'm doing a still shot I'll use an unbiased render engine so... and FG and GI out the box are always problematic with animation, unless you know exactly what your doing.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 6 04-10-2011 , 06:08 PM
but they give realistic output..user added image maya default render didn't give that kin of output even with a good lighting setup .on the otherside they take lot of time setting then again test render time..that's horrible.

What you guyz use as fill light in maya??

# 7 05-10-2011 , 01:09 AM
Super Moderator
FG+GI lighting setups can take as long as manual lighting, they both have their trade offs, sometimes realism isn't the goal and control can really matter. Also, you'd be surprised how convincing a simple render becomes after color grading and other post work. I find directional domes good for fill light.

- Genny
# 8 05-10-2011 , 07:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Directional domes Gen....enlighten me please.

cheers bullet

I use FG a lot and as dom has noticed I get a lot of 'blotchy' patches on my textures...so I dont use them much now...unless I like the effect LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 05-10-2011 , 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Ok, I had to dig through my Photobucket album. It's pretty much a group of non-shadow casting, directionals at different angles (however many you need) to create an omni present light source. The combination of each light's intensity is the overall ambient strength. I think I was shooting for 0.8 overall so that was .1333 each for the 6 lights. This is without bounce lights and such, the image was all about the dome.
user added image

- Genny
# 10 05-10-2011 , 10:44 AM
The Nurb Herd
haha, 'directional dome' did you just make that up? user added image

# 11 05-10-2011 , 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
When I first heard of it I had the same reaction!

- Genny
# 12 07-10-2011 , 08:39 PM
hey but i use FG as fill pass in my scenes other passes i did with simple lighting setup ,maya default render.

I give a smooth and awesome look..user added image