Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-12-2011 , 03:18 AM

NURBS to polygons issue...

Been using MAYA for only about 2 weeks now and I'm stuck. I'm currently working on a Camaro fender and I started with curves, then used the birail tool to make a surface. After that I converted the NURBS to polygons, now I'm stuck and not sure what to do next. Mind you that I'm not positive that I've done everything correctly up to this point. Now here's my question... Why do the edges turn out rounded out, how do I fix this issue?.... I've attached an image to illustrate my problem. Hope for some clarification. THANKS.

user added image

# 2 06-12-2011 , 03:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Have you smoothed or hit '3' on the num pad??? secondly they will be separate meshes...so you have to combine the meshes...Mesh>Combine...then you have to merge (sew) vertices that are adjoining each other....Edit Mesh>Merge.

You can merge the verts one by one (ie highlight 2 that are close) and merge.

See how you go...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 06-12-2011 , 04:21 AM
yep what B said. You need to combine and attach all the separate poly surfaces and then you may need to add some support edges to hold the corners. Also the three poly surfaces along the top are a bit dense.

If you have only been using maya for two weeks I would recommend following a couple tutorials. Maybe a little simpler then modeling a car straight out of the box, unless you have used some similar 3D apps.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 06-12-2011 , 04:44 AM
Lifetime Member
I forgot to mention you dont have any menus on the HUD...go to Display>Heads Up Display and tick boxes Poly Count and Object Display as well as View Axis...so when you select the verts you are going to merge...the Poly Count on the top left will tell you how many verts you have selected.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 06-12-2011 , 05:58 AM
That was 3 on the NUM PAD. I went ahead and combined. I was able to combine but the radius on the fender still was coming out messed up. Even after adding edge loops to sharpen the edges. I could do a little simpler modeling but I'm dead set on doing this specific project for now. I tried to follow the a tut of a nissan Z but had a hard time following it so I passed on that and started to mess around with it myself. I'm complicated that way. user added image Obviously NURBS curves from what I read seem to be a bit harder to work with vs polygons... Honestly the only problem I'm having is with the stupid fender flare/lip. I can make make the shape out of polygons but then I can't make the radius on the fender without it coming out messed up.

# 6 06-12-2011 , 06:10 AM
That was 3 on the NUM PAD. I went ahead and combined. I was able to combine but the radius on the fender still was coming out messed up....

that is because you are going to have to add support edges to tighten the corners. when maya or any package smoothes it averages between three edges/verts. If you want a tight edge you are going to need three edges close together. This is why I suggested that you watch a couple basic modeling tuts first as this is the kind of stuff those intro tuts teach.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 06-12-2011 , 06:41 AM
I will give in and take your suggestion. Any specific ones you suggest I start with? It's funny cause I was able to to a decent job with the hood and front bumper.. Perfect, no.. But I'm content with the way it turned out for a newb...

user added image

# 8 06-12-2011 , 06:50 AM
show us a shot of the part that is not smoothing correctly both a unsmoothed and smoothed wire shot and perhaps we can help figure out the problem.

# 9 06-12-2011 , 07:05 AM
Bottom of fender flare and 2 divots on top.

First shot. (unsmoothed)
user added image

Second shot. (NUMPAD 2)
user added image

Third Shot. (NUMPAD 3)
user added image

# 10 06-12-2011 , 07:12 AM
oh it looks like you still have verts that are not merged. Try this turn on the hud and select those verts and see if you have more then one. You can also go to the windows, settings and preferences, preferences, polygon section and turn on border edges check box and set the thickness to 3. This will show you where you have border edges. If the verts will not merge try mesh, cleanup..., goto the remove geometry section and check the first 4 options and apply. Then try to merge those verts.....rick

# 11 06-12-2011 , 07:13 AM
Lifetime Member
you havent merged the verts mate...they havent been merged properly...unsmooth, then highlght the vert..up the top where it says verts...it will say you have selected 2...try merge again

bullet1968

# 12 07-12-2011 , 04:51 AM
Acid44
Easiest way to do it is to double click the merge vert tool (or edit mesh>merge>options box) and set it some something low, like 0.010, then select all the verts and hit merge

# 13 07-12-2011 , 07:24 AM
Technical Director

Easiest way to do it is to double click the merge vert tool (or edit mesh>merge>options box) and set it some something low, like 0.010, then select all the verts and hit merge

It looks like he has some tight bevels. Try using 0.0001. This will make sure only verts that are directly on top of each other are merged. Having this radius too large can destroy some of the more detailed parts of the model.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 14 07-12-2011 , 07:31 AM
In addition to the two areas in the wheel well check out the two areas I have circled on the top of the fender there is something that does not look correct there.

Attached Thumbnails

# 15 12-12-2011 , 04:38 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I got it taken care of, not sure what did it though... None the less, it fixed the issue. I have since put it on the back burner and have been messing around with tutorials. I'm pretty sure I'll be back here asking questions. Even when following some of the tutorials, I can't seem to mimic everything. Just doesn't wanna cooperate. Again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.