Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-12-2012 , 03:21 PM

Help using the UV Texture Editor.

Hello! New to the forums and to Maya. When I click on the toggle shaded UV display icon, my whole face is shaded red, except my ears. They're blue. Blue is good, right? That means nothing is overlapping? I modeled the ears on a different scene and then imported them to the scene with my face. Anyway, my ears aren't the problem, it's the rest of my face. Here's a pic.

user added image

I hope this easy to fix... :/

# 2 04-12-2012 , 04:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Blue means the UVs are facing the right way, red means they are facing backwards. Dark blue means you have overlap and dark red is also overlap.

You probably have most of your mesh with reversed normals. Check the normals on the model, and reverse them as necessary. It's also possible just the ears have reversed normals and the UV layout is completely flipped.

PS Is your username from Archer?

# 3 04-12-2012 , 05:23 PM
Awesome! That did the trick. I watched a YouTube tutorial on using reverse normals. Thanks a bunch stwert! That was so simple, it was driving me nuts! Ha Ha. Totally new to this software.

Nah, my username's from a webcomic called the Perry Bible Fellowship. user added image