Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-01-2012 , 08:56 AM

how to make a path curve in the exect shape of a certain poligon scope?

hello everyone!
i'm trying to figure out how to do this: i made a chair poligon. now in reality this chair has a metal strip that goes around its scope. i'm trying to make it in maya by using nurbs extrude. the problem is this: i don't know how to make the basic path curve to be in the exect shape as the chair scope.

does anyone knows how to do that?

thanks guys!

# 2 30-01-2012 , 09:56 AM
Lifetime Member
can you screenshot mate???? this will make any answer a little easier

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 30-01-2012 , 10:35 AM
if you have already modeled the chair and you are saying you want to model something that fits around its perimeter then you can make the surface live and draw a nurbs curve onto it then then use that curve to create a surface.

but it might be more efficient just to duplicate polygons around the perimeter of the chair and use them as a starting point for the metal strip you are describing.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 30-01-2012 , 06:10 PM
-Download Zentools from creative crash.
-Use the tool named create curves from continuous edges, it will create a curve based on your edge selection on the poly.
-Extrude on this curve.
-PROFIT !!!!

OR

Project curve on mesh, but it's a bit more tedious..

# 5 30-01-2012 , 06:42 PM
The thin red line
You can convert a edge to a curve in maya............dave

# 6 30-01-2012 , 08:52 PM
yes I forgot they added the convert edge to nurbs curve recently.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 30-01-2012 , 09:53 PM
aw gawd I knew it but I couldn't find it, where did they put it??

# 8 30-01-2012 , 09:56 PM
The thin red line
Modify, convert, polygon edge to curve...........dave

# 9 06-02-2012 , 04:36 PM

thanks everyone!!

I tried to convert 'polygon edge to curve', but it didn't work out since the curve mesh that came out after used 'extrude curve' on it, was too big and twisted for my chair scope shape...
but i got a nice result when i extruded the edge faces and beveled them (final result is etached).

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by BRAB; 06-02-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: forgot to upload file
# 10 08-02-2012 , 02:20 PM

Modify, convert, polygon edge to curve...........dave

it's not there, I have 2012, I can't see it.

DAMN!

After a quick search on the internets it seems to be a recurrent issue, oh well! Good to know if you miss it someday..
https://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...t-Convert-menu

# 11 08-02-2012 , 03:41 PM
It is there I think you are just not seeing it. I also have 2012....

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 11-02-2012 , 12:08 PM
Actually if you want to know the whole story here it is.
It really wasn't in my menu, so I asked my IT admin where I work and he looked into it.
He couldn't find it so he deleted all my prefs. WAY TO GO ADMIN.
I just couldn't accept it because of all my scripts shortcuts etc getting lost so I copied them back and dugg deep to find the culprit.
Turns out I have a script named HK local tools (great one btw) that rewrote the menu list and overrode it in TWO different files(that was very exasperating). The script was just adding a new submenu in the modify menu, but to do that you actually have to completely replace the menu. So I was actually stuck with the menu from... 2008..
I was able to find this thanks to you in a way, so thanks!
And keep in mind some scripts can ****up your menus, it might come in handy one day user added image

# 13 11-02-2012 , 07:30 PM
ah ty for posting that information about scripts messing up the standard menus and I am glad you got it working again. Sorry about your prefs getting wiped. I hate when that happens to me. I am so paranoid about it I keep several copies of my maya docs folder.