Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-03-2012 , 04:53 PM

God dam Interactive Split Tool!!

Hi, I know the interactive split tool to be highly temperamental and crash Maya but today i gave it a shot and it worked well for what i needed it to do, but now for some reason every time I press 3 for smooth mesh preview Maya crashes, I've tried deleting the area where i used the interactive split tool but to no avail, I've also tried importing my mesh into a new scene but the same thing happens, any ideas how to fix!? Should of known never to trust that stoopid useless tool..

Ever Try, Ever Fail, No Matter. Try Again, Fail Again, Fail Better.
# 2 22-03-2012 , 07:21 PM
I am confused. I do not personally care for the new interactive split tool, but if it is going to crash it would crash while in the act of using it.

I don't believe the fact that you cut an edge using it would crash your machine after the act and you are no longer using the tool. Once an edge is split it's split. It Does not matter if you used the new interactive split tool or the old split tool.

I mean if you exported / saved the mesh and brought it into a fresh scene maya would have no recollection that you had used the interactive split polygon tool on anything.

So it sounds like there is a problem when maya is trying to run a smooth preview on your model. You might want to turn on the stack trace and see if you can capture where you are crashing in the code.

If I misinterpreted your message I apologize.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 22-03-2012 at 09:00 PM.
# 3 22-03-2012 , 09:24 PM
Yeah i know its a strange one, I tried deleting all along the edge where i used it, even some parts i didn't and now the smoothing is back working again as normal, very odd, thanks for your help though user added image

# 4 23-03-2012 , 12:24 AM
Technical Director
If something like this happens again, export it as an OBJ, and bring it back in. Exporting it as a .ma or .mb may actually embed the thing that's causing the problem into the exported geometry.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 23-03-2012 , 10:48 PM
Hi, yeah, the same thing happened again, but this time when i added sub divisions and pressed smooth preview, must be my pc yet I'm using an xps so pretty sure it is able to cope with the performance, anyways, exported as an obj and brought it back in and now is working perfectly again, so thanks for the advice ! user added image

# 6 23-03-2012 , 10:59 PM
More likely to be your graphics card if it's crashing when you smooth preview or could be memory

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 19-06-2012 , 07:36 PM
frosty03
can you help me ?
i am following a tutorial on how to make a ship and its got to a point where i have to use the interactive split tool which is fine and i know how it works but when i put the line in that i want to create it will change to a totally different place. is there something wrong with my mesh ? and what could it be ? its probably something easy but i just dont have a clue how to solve it
thanks lee

# 8 19-06-2012 , 10:22 PM
Technical Director

can you help me ? ...

Hi Lee, you don't need to post in other threads to point to yours. We'll find it user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 25-06-2012 , 08:27 AM

The Old Split Polygon Tool

I know I'm late to the game here but but I'll post this for anyone else who might need the old split poly tool.

You can recreate the original (better) split polygon tool.

Open the Script Editor and type SplitPolygonTool; into the MEL tab at the bottom. Highlight the command and middle mouse button and drag it onto one of the shelves. Now you have a button to the old tool.

Astro