Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-06-2012 , 04:00 PM

Screwdriver head

CtBram will prob kill me, but Id like to model the tip of the screwdriver (Flat) but not with boolean and I've forgotten how to do it..

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Sircharles; 05-06-2012 at 04:04 PM.
# 2 05-06-2012 , 04:48 PM
Lifetime Member
You could try deleting the end cap from the cylinder you use for the shaft, then connect across each row of points so you have a series of polygons connecting across the width of the shaft. Next, slice across the two innermost sets of polys [so you have a disc created out of n rows of 3 quads]. Finally shear the top downwards to get the desired effect.

Sorry, but don't have Maya to hand to give any screenshots describing the above so I hope it makes sense?

# 3 05-06-2012 , 07:18 PM
Lifetime Member
I just created a standard 20 side cylinder...then cut face tool on the top section. Deleted the 3 other quadrants and the faces I didnt want. Append to poly...copy and mirror one side, cleaned up the tris and ngons...bit of handwork and it was done mate. Ctbram will have a quicker way LOL...I left history on.

cheers bullet

Attached Files
File Type: zip SC_screwdriver.zip (16.4 KB, 210 views)

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 05-06-2012 , 07:40 PM
LOL! Fear my wrath!

It is quite easy to do this without a boolean doing as Bullet suggests. I will make you a short video as it's easier to show you how I would do this then try to describe it.

I am curious though. Is there a reason you want to avoid using a boolean and then clean up? Is this an assignment or something?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-06-2012 at 07:43 PM.
# 5 05-06-2012 , 08:01 PM
Sorry I understand now, Cut Face tool is the one, never really had a use before. but Thanks fellas.

Bram, I just thought boolean topology should be avoided because of the hard edges when rendered...

Last edited by Sircharles; 05-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.
# 6 05-06-2012 , 08:53 PM
Here you go. This video should help you out...

https://youtu.be/W_-r2di1OTY

EDIT:

At the end I say "without using the bevel tool" I meant without using "boolean operations".

Also, I struggled to find the "keep spacing" checkbox in the move tool setting. I apologize. It is in the tools section about half way down and named "retain component spacing" I don't control it from there normally and so I always struggle to find it. It does not help that they name it differently. I just wanted to point out where it is at for completeness.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.
# 7 05-06-2012 , 11:19 PM
In this example using booleans would actually cut several steps out of the workflow using cut faces.

Booleans are not bad. You just have to know how to use them properly and realize you will have to do some clean up afterwards. They are used in professional CAD surface modeling extensively however those packages use NURBs and they deal with booleans differently then polygons.

It's when inexperienced modelers use booleans and then do not clean them up or use them in an inappropriate situation where they become problematic and so they get a undeserved bad rap.

Here is an example of doing the same screwdriver above but this time using booleans and you can see the workflow is simpler and has fewer steps then using cut faces.

https://youtu.be/jxUzI_XmFlM

# 8 06-06-2012 , 08:17 PM
Great Tutorials, and changed my outlook on booleans. i thought the geometry was unuse-able after a boolean operation. A screwdriver head isn't as straightforward as one would think either!

cheers again,
Graham