Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-06-2012 , 07:48 PM
EduSciVis-er

Stwert's Sketch Space

Just got one or two more days of school projects and then I'm slightly more on "holidays". So I thought it would be fun to share my ZBrush and Photoshop (and Maya) explorations in a thread. The panzer tank is my main project for the summer, but this is where I'll have lots of small (day or two) "sketches". I've been considering getting into Z for quite a while, and have just recently started tackling it seriously.

First sketch is my version of a barnacle from Half-life, just an hour or so on this one. I think I'll take it further, maybe play with some texturing, but my main goal was to get familiar with a few of the different brushes.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 29-06-2012 , 07:57 AM
Lifetime Member
Its certainly bizzare my boy LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 30-06-2012 , 01:39 AM
EduSciVis-er
Texture update (sorry, not texturing, bumps and things). Pretty fun playing with alphas and stuff. I thought it would be cool to have a barnacle texture for this alien, since it's called a barnacle, and then I thought it would be cool to also have little barnacle shells sitting on the shell, but I couldn't think of how to do the little barnacles, and then I made my own alpha in PS and it came out pretty well! Proud moment user added image I think they'd look better if I didn't smooth them out and had more resolution, but I feel like I'm making progress tackling this beast (Zbrush, that is).

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-06-2012 , 03:28 PM
Lifetime Member
I think it looks pretty cool, but the pieces on top currently look more like lesions than barnacles user added image

I've really wanted to give Zbrush a go after seeing everyone's projects and posts,
but really need to get a handle on Maya first

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 5 30-06-2012 , 03:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks, yeah, you're right. Lesions work too, all gross and gnarly. ZBrush I think has been more of a struggle to learn so far, perhaps it's not as big as Maya but it makes less sense.

# 6 30-06-2012 , 06:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking good stwert. This is a good trip down memory lane. Spent many hours shooting these little critters to pieces. Wonder if episode 3 will ever see the the light of day.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 7 03-07-2012 , 04:43 PM
EduSciVis-er
Bullsquid. Again from the half-life series (only the first one, I think?). I'll get onto some original content sooner or later, but I find it's easier to learn the tools if I have a really clear picture (i.e. in front of me) of what I'm trying to do.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 04-07-2012 , 04:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
Trying out the polypainting

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 05-09-2012 , 01:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
Playing around with nCloth, IBL,and DOF briefly. Not the result I was necessarily hoping for, but it's alright. I know the nCloth is very subtle, and it ended up with lower res geometry than I wanted, but I learned some good info.

Attached Thumbnails