Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-10-2012 , 10:02 PM

Illusion problem

Greetings fellow modellers!

First post here so not sure if this thread is at the right place. Anyways... I got a problem. I'm supposed to model this building but it has to match EXACTLY with the picture and having raged over it for the past week i'm finally giving in and seeking for help.

So my problem is as following: every platform and stairs are matching the picture except for the stairs downstairs as seen in pic 3. So does anyone know a solution to this or want to help me fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
# 2 05-10-2012 , 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Creating one step, duplicating and positioning it to make the second and then shift+D to make the rest doesn't cut it?

- Genny
# 3 05-10-2012 , 04:36 AM
Lifetime Member
Genny hit the nail on the head. You will have to experiment to get it right...Maya is not designed for dimensionally correct positions.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 05-10-2012 , 01:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think he means the bottom of the right cube doesn't match up exactly with the blueprint. Assuming you've just duplicated the left piece, I would take this to mean that the blueprint is slightly off. So, you're going to have to fudge something, whether it means your maya objects are slightly skewed. Is that what you're asking?

# 5 05-10-2012 , 07:33 PM
Yea like stwert said. I can go making the steps now but I know something will mess up again. I want the 2 cubes to fit in perfectly first. I was already thinking about rotating the stairs slightly and move the platform with it but I dont think thats realistic.. I've already played with the camera angle but it doesnt help. Maybe anyone knows another good camera trick that might help?

# 6 09-10-2012 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
If the left runner is seperate, couldn't you just "move" the outside face out a bit? Then possibly scale the "object" in, to match?